Need advice on ghee and paneer please

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
3:50 AM
I giggled these two a month or so, they seem easy to make. Does anyone have foolproof ways to make ether please. Ghee is just heat butter up until solids form then strain???! Would love first hand knowledge please??

Russ

Ghee and clarified butter are basically the same thing. Yes, you just heat butter until the liquids and milk solids separate, then skim and/or strain through cheesecloth. It is very simple, but like a dark roux, you have to pay attention, or you could burn the butter.

I have made it at home before, but now I can easily buy it, so I don't bother.

Like I said, the only thing you need to do is pay attention, so you don't burn your butter.

CD

Ghee and clarified butter are basically the same thing. Yes, you just heat butter until the liquids and milk solids separate, then skim and/or strain through cheesecloth. It is very simple, but like a dark roux, you have to pay attention, or you could burn the butter.

I have made it at home before, but now I can easily buy it, so I don't bother.

Like I said, the only thing you need to do is pay attention, so you don't burn your butter.

CD

I could buy it I know, but we have about 15 lb of butter In the fridge ATM. I will make this.
Thanks

Russ

That's how I make paneer too - it's absolutely foolproof. I often use it instead of halloumi (which has rennet in it).
If you want a softer cottage-type cheese, don't weight it but just store in the fridge after straining. It doesn't keep very long though, maybe 3 days at most.
You can also make a fresh cream cheese out of it. After straining, whisk in a bowl until smooth and creamy. You may have to add back at little of the whey (or you can use plain yoghurt) to get the desired amount of creaminess. It's what I used in my Recipe - Tomato and apple stew (see notes at end of recipe)

Back
Top Bottom