Need Suggestions on Food to Freeze for a Week

Athenagdlyt

Veteran
Local time
5:41 PM
I'm am going out of town for a week and my teenage boys will be left without a cook. I'm planning to just cook several batches of meals good for a week and then freeze them by meal divisions ready for reheating.
What types of food can you suggest for freezer meals?

The best meals to cook and freeze are definitely casseroles. Lasagna, baked spaghetti, chicken tetrazzini. Pot pies also freeze well. You could also brown up taco meat and freeze that. All they have to do is thaw it out and then warm it up. Soups and chilis are also good to freeze. That depends on your preferences though. I could eat chili and soup all year long but some people only like it during the winter months.

That depends... how bad are they, at cooking? Can they do some basic cooking, or are they really hopeless at anything but a microwave?

Because I would suggest pasta sauces frozen in ice cube trays, so they can just microwave them and add freshly-cooked pasta... because frozen pasta might not turn out as well, especially if they're frozen with the sauce. It's better to separate the pasta and the sauce, unless your boys can't be trusted to boil water. Which would be too bad, because I would also have recommended Frankfurters (which might need to be boiled), some frozen hotdog buns (just thaw them and pop them in the toaster oven, in a paper bag to keep them from burning or drying out or alternatively getting soggy from the frost), and this chili recipe also frozen in ice cube trays like the pasta sauce--obviously, don't add water to the ice cube trays. Boys should love this because the recipe comes from Sonic the Hedgehog comics...unless that's not cool anymore among kids these days? :(

If you've got a rice cooker, Chinese air-dried "wax sausages" can just be chopped into sections and thrown in between the dry rice looking like it's cooked and the rice cooker saying that it's cooked and clicking the flip-switch to "warm", but again if they're not conscientious enough to watch for that then they might be eating uncooked preserved sausages, poor things! (A can of pork and beans can be great with that, though, when it's done right).

Schnitzels should keep well in the freezer. I'm a fan of chicken breast with egg dip covered in crushed corn flakes and seasonings. Potatoes, too-- boiled and mashed, with raw diced onions added, the whole mix molded into flat round cakes, covered in flour and fried up--then cooled and frozen. This recipe practically makes a complete meal in bite-sized potato-cake chunks, by adding bacon and kale or cabbage to the mix.

Eggplant omelets? I'm trying to remember the recipe for that... You're supposed to cut a nick in the eggplant then roast or toast them so the skin comes off, then the insides of the eggplant are fried with a little seasoned and scrambled egg like an omelet, except instead of the eggplant being inside actual scrambled egg "skin", the eggplant becomes a part of the scrambled egg. And instead of scrambling it, it's just fried. That might freeze well, and teenagers might even forget that it's a vegetable...it's more like a breadless pizza.

Last edited:
Pizza crust is another way to go and you could freeze it with the sauce on it as well as whatever meats or veggies they want on it. Casserole type dishes are the way to go, don't forget to put heating instructions on them in large letters!

Back
Top Bottom