Never done that before recipes

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
1:03 PM
For the novice Cook, the mediocre Cook and the Amateur Cook, Never Done That Before Recipes represent a long list, much of which is off the map, but will eventually turn up. This is not to claim that established long term Cooks and Professional Cooks do not explore their own Never Done That Recipe experiences and adventures.

Many of these Never Done That Recipes are straight forward work-throughs of long established recipes. Others may be unique alterations on a recipe theme. And finally, a Never Done That Recipe may be something unique and possibly unheard of.

Being somewhat of a Novice to Amateur Cook, many of the Recipes I produce are indeed, Never Done That Recipes. Currently, I keep a list, an Under Consideration List, of Recipes I want to try and/or explore. That list currently contains 18 Recipes under consideration, only three of which are common established recipes, the rest being off the map unusual creations.

Do you keep an Under Consideration List? Do you exercise creativity to produce unique recipe productions?

I do not have an actual list but there are many Never Done That Recipes that I would like to try. Maybe not specific recipes but cuisines. I would like to explore Indian food. There are a couple of Italian dishes that I do well. I would like to delve deeper into Italian cooking. I would also like to try some Spanish dishes, Paella for one.
I probably should make a short list of actual recipes. That would be more achievable than a broad range of cuisines.

I have a back-of-my-mind list, like a buche de noel, croissants, Chicago-style deep dish pizza...those are three that I can think of right now.

The thing is, though, I'm not driven by them. I wake up one day and say, "Today's the day I'm making that pizza," and I'll make. Might be Thursday, or it might be six years from now.

It was the same thing with bagels. They were on my list for a long time, then I finally got around to it, made them, liked them, and I haven't made them since.

I have a back-of-my-mind list, like a buche de noel, croissants, Chicago-style deep dish pizza...those are three that I can think of right now.

The thing is, though, I'm not driven by them. I wake up one day and say, "Today's the day I'm making that pizza," and I'll make. Might be Thursday, or it might be six years from now.

It was the same thing with bagels. They were on my list for a long time, then I finally got around to it, made them, liked them, and I haven't made them since.
I can help for the Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Do you want a recipe?

Morning Glory and ChefBasics had a discussion about Eggs Benedicts and Hollandaise Sauce. This quite naturally made it onto my Never Done That Recipe List. I just have to do it.

Although I am not participating in the current Pistachio Challenge, my mind has wandered and I have already dreamed up 9 Pistachio recipes that I added to the Never Done That Recipe List and will have to do them after the challenge is over.

And Breads! I've already mentioned that I want to do a Dark Rye. And there's more on there regarding Bread making as well.

I can't just keep this stuff in my head. I have to write it down in a computer noted list, along with ingredients and a layout of the procedures involved.

I wonder if we are more at home with recipes for food we like. I never shy away from a recipe if it is for something I want to eat, no matter how complicated. However, there are recipes that would put me out of my depth, but usually for things that don't really interest me.

I wonder if we are more at home with recipes for food we like. I never shy away from a recipe if it is for something I want to eat, no matter how complicated. However, there are recipes that would put me out of my depth, but usually for things that don't really interest me.
You make a very good point. I have passed over several probably very good recipes because it seemed like too much work "just for me". However, NO recipe was too much when I cooked for my family (spouse and children). I only see the kids a handful of times each year so I go all out and make whatever they want.

However, there are recipes that would put me out of my depth, but usually for things that don't really interest me.

This applies to lots of desserts/cakes etc in my case. I can't be fussed with them usually. It would also apply to certain fiddly Japanese things - I'm not a fan of Japanese food from what I know of it.

Do you keep an Under Consideration List?
Kind of.

I use Evernote to clip recipes from the web whenever I see something that looks interesting - its quick and easy, and you can easily tag them to make searching easier. Sometimes I'll save a recipe when I'm searching for something specific, but other times I'll just save them if I see it in passing and think it looks like it could be fun or tasty.

To be honest, I don't expect I'll ever get around to trying them all....I currently have 988 recipes in my collection and I've probably only cooked a fraction of them. I do have my favourites that I go back to again and again...these are tagged "tried and tested" and I annotate them with my observations and adjustments.

I think you've got a good point there - I'm probably prepared to make more of an effort to embark on a complicated recipe if its something I really really want to eat. If a recipe sounds time-consuming or difficult, or requires expensive or unusual ingredients I'll probably think hard about just how much I want to try it before coming to the decision to put the effort in.

Back
Top Bottom