New Cookbook

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
12:36 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I won't tell hubby just yet, but I've ordered a new cookbook on pre-orders...

Screenshot_20230310_210415_Opera.jpg

Veganistan: A Vegan Tour of the Middle East : Butcher, Sally: Amazon.com.au: Books

The American & UK versions are already out, Veganistan: A vegan tour of the Middle East : Butcher, Sally: Amazon.com.au: Books

And it includes a very nice looking rice dish :whistling: and the preview is legible and complete.

I have one of her earlier books where I noticed she very carefully excluded anything Israeli or Jewish. Does that pattern continue here?
I don't know because I won't get the book until May. It's out in USA and UK now, but not Australia hence why I said it is in pre-order.

Given that she's married to an Iranian man (living in London), and hence his family, most dishes will be from Muslim or Arab countries and she's always been clear about that. It is called "-stan' for a reason as are all of hey books. The dishes are from the countries from Persia & the Stans (all Arab countries). So I have no issues with it excluding Jewish recipes (and I have Israeli family).

I wouldn't expect a French cookery book to feature German recipes. Or a German recipe book to feature French or Italian recipes, so I don't see the issue a problem with her recipes not including Israeli recipes.

I don't know because I won't get the book until May. It's out in USA and UK now, but not Australia hence why I said it is in pre-order.

Given that she's married to an Iranian man (living in London), and hence his family, most dishes will be from Muslim or Arab countries and she's always been clear about that. It is called "-stan' for a reason as are all of hey books. The dishes are from the countries from Persia & the Stans (all Arab countries). So I have no issues with it excluding Jewish recipes (and I have Israeli family).

I wouldn't expect a French cookery book to feature German recipes. Or a German recipe book to feature French or Italian recipes, so I don't see the issue a problem with her recipes not including Israeli recipes.
At least in the stuff I saw, there was Lebanese, Egyptian, Yemen, Morocco...and it's billed as a "tour of the Middle East," so, the analogy is more like "A Guide To French Food" that excludes Burgundy or Jura.

Anyway, you answered my question, thanks!

.and it's billed as a "tour of the Middle East,"
There is a dedicated middle east book by that name in the USA but it uses a different title in Europe/ rest of world that better reflects the origin of the dishes. It's one of her earlier books that features meat and fish so I don't have it. I think it's called Snackistan outside of the Americas.

Back
Top Bottom