New cooker advice

SomeStrangeMan

Über Member
Local time
9:08 PM
So I've got an old 50cm wide cooker, it's kinda crappy, the oven door won't stay shut and the grill door has been damaged, so it's time to replace it.

We need advice really, on what's worth getting. I know that I want a separate grill and oven, and the other half knows that she wants a double oven and a safety lid to cut off. We've found a few options, and aside from the price point, I'm really not seeing a lot of difference. The brands we're looking at are cannon, beko, indesit, hotpoint and belling.

If it makes any difference, we're stuck with gas, we don't have a good setup for doing electrical works, and we might be able to accommodate a 55cm cooker by chopping up some worktop, but we don't want a funky temperature control cause air can't get around t.

Thanks morning glory, the safety lid cuts off the gas supply to the burners when its down. The other half feels better when we have one. Sadly it looks like only one of the reviewed cookers had that - the hotpoint cloe, which is the second priciest option we found.

I don't know what's available to you, but I agree with you on the gas part. I love gas for a cooktop (hob), but not for an oven (cooker). Hotpoint is an old American company. It is not as popular here as it once was, at least over here.

CD

I don't know what's available to you, but I agree with you on the gas part. I love gas for a cooktop (hob), but not for an oven (cooker). Hotpoint is an old American company. It is not as popular here as it once was, at least over here.

CD
The main options we found were:

Indesit ID60G2X
Beko EDG506W
Cannon C50GCW
Hotpoint cloe in various colours
Belling FS50GDOL

They all look pretty similar to me, but the OH has some preconceptions (she doesn't like hotpoint) that mean we probably would go for the expensive option (Cannon), while I'd be opting for the cheaper option (Beko), but the most similar to our old one is the belling (same company). So, I'm pretty much at a loss.

Indesit ID60G2X
Beko EDG506W
Cannon C50GCW
Belling FS50GDOL

They all look pretty similar to me, but the OH has some preconceptions (she doesn't like hotpoint) that mean we probably would go for the expensive option (Cannon), while I'd be opting for the cheaper option (Beko), but the most similar to our old one is the belling (same company). So, I'm pretty much at a loss.
Cannon, Hotpoint and Indesit are the same company. The cookers are likely to be identical beneath the surface, with just cosmetic differences. Belling are owned by Glen Electric, who also own Creda, Stoves and New World, so the same will apply here. Beko is Turkish.

I wouldn't worry about the lid - the individual burners will have safety valves anyway.

From an aesthetics point of view, I prefer the Indesit, and from a practical point of view it has the largest main oven capacity.
The Cannon seems to have a very small main oven (only 41 litres) - that would be far too small for me.
I rather like Beko as a brand and I think they punch above their weight in terms of cost/quality - our 6 year old Beko washing machine is still going strong and has given us no problems at all. My parents have had Beko fridge freezers for years, again with no problems.

I'm also in the process of replacing our oven and the very first thing I'm looking at is the oven capacity of the replacement - even if it looks fab and has all the right functions, its no use unless the cavity is big enough for what I want to cook. I'd suggest checking the size of the cavities on your current cooker and think about what you want to cook, and then compare the specs of the various options in detail.

Indesit ID60G2X
Beko EDG506W
Cannon C50GCW
Belling FS50GDOL

I cannot give you specific advice about any of the models you listed; however, I will share how I go about making a large purchase.

1. Check Consumer Reports (or equivalent in your area) and Amazon for reviews.
2. Contact local repair companies to get an idea of how many times a particular model has repair issues and the average cost.
3. Check out pricegrabber.com to find the product from different sellers to locate the best price.

Good luck in your search!

I cannot give you specific advice about any of the models you listed; however, I will share how I go about making a large purchase.

1. Check Consumer Reports (or equivalent in your area) and Amazon for reviews.
2. Contact local repair companies to get an idea of how many times a particular model has repair issues and the average cost.
3. Check out pricegrabber.com to find the product from different sellers to locate the best price.

Good luck in your search!

Consumer reports is great. It is not free, you have be a member. But, they do not accept any advertising, so no company can influence them with money. The only thing I don't trust them on is cars -- they treat cars like appliances, and I'm a car guy. Their top car picks are all bland and boring.

i don't know if they have a European version, but if they do, I would check it out.

CD

Reactions: mjd
Consumer reports is great. It is not free, you have be a member. But, they do not accept any advertising, so no company can influence them with money. The only thing I don't trust them on is cars -- they treat cars like appliances, and I'm a car guy. Their top car picks are all bland and boring.

i don't know if they have a European version, but if they do, I would check it out.

CD

Thanks for pointing that out. I usually read it from my library. I just checked and they offer a 30-day free trial or the option to buy specific issues. The price isn't bad at all. I wonder if they have something comparable in other countries.

CD
Sounds like the nearest UK equivalent would be Which?. They offer a free one month trial and I've found them of some use in the past, but I've not bothered with them for years now. For home appliances I tend to search for the model on youtube to see if anyone has done a user review - its a bit hit and miss, but often even if you can only see a review of a similar model it is enough to point out things you may not have thought of.

We already looked at which, but they weren't much use - they focus on 60cm wide cookers.

MrsDangermouse's comment on main oven size is very useful.

Bloody luxury, on Hvar the family sea house only have a single burner.
1605763479095.png

Back
Top Bottom