"New" Food Processor

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
8:39 PM
You've heard me complain about my current food processor before. In short, I had a Cuisinart DC-5 that I loved, and after nearly 30 years, I had to get rid of it because the plastic bowl had cracked in several places and was no long usable, and I couldn't find any replacement bowls online.

Replaced it with a new KitchenAid 7 (or possibly 9) cup one, and the intervening years saw a real drop in food processor quality, because it's a piece of 💩. It's so bad, I sent it back and they sent me a replacement, and it's just as bad. Weak, weak, weak. Won't do even the smallest about of bread dough, which is what actually what I use my food processor for more than anything else (pizza dough, to be more specific).

Oh, where is the quality of the 1970's when you need it?!

Well, visiting my parents yesterday, and my mom's house is like a combination junk store and museum, and what did I see sitting in a corner of their screened-in porch?...this little beauty:

That's either a late-70's food processor or a warp drive capacitor alignment unit from Buck Rogers In The 25th Century.

Mom didn't know how or when she got it, but she knows she never used it because (her words), "I'm too old for that newfangled stuff." It has been used, I can see evidence of that, but it's in excellent like-new shape, so I grabbed it right up.

The bowl is heavy-duty plastic...very thick and substantial - not flimsy at all like my new one. It has a good weight overall (though not as heavy as my Cuisinart was), and best of all, when I turn it on, it sounds like a freight train and a jet plane are making love - it's wonderfully noisy, which I hope bodes well for its dough-handling ability.

I'm about to make a loaf of whole wheat bread, using the recipe in the included manual, and my first test of this "Marvel From Yesteryear (...yesteryear...esteryear...teryear...)!"

I have two Cuisinart food processors. The big one is the same one I see on virtually every food TV show, and was ATK's top pick. It is very strong. I also have the Cusinart mini food processor, which is great for little jobs, like making pesto.

CD

Well, the bread is currently on the rise, and I can report no issues with the food processor. It beat that dough like an orphan asking for seconds.

Purty colors -- tan and brown with genuine wood grain plastic stickers. :okay:

All you need now is an Amana Radarange.

Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 4.34.45 AM.png

CD

Last edited:
Party colors -- tan and brown with genuine wood grain plastic stickers. :okay:

All you need now is an Amana Radarange.

View attachment 70811

CD
I told my wife, "I wish it were avocado green or goldenrod!" - those are the colors of my youth! :laugh:
View attachment 70819
This was one of Cuisinart's vintage machines. Still pretty much has the same look today!! My first Cuisinart looked like this (DL-7Pro). :whistling:
That's what my DC-5 looked like. Smaller bowl on mine, obviously.

I told my wife, "I wish it were avocado green or goldenrod!" - those are the colors of my youth! :laugh:

That's what my DC-5 looked like. Smaller bowl on mine, obviously.

Our kitchen featured Avocado Green appliances back in the day.

CD

That General Electric processor was the one my mother-in-law had. Bought absolutely ages ago and solid as a rock, until the cleaning lady dropped in on the floor and the thing smashed:eek::eek:.
I´ve got a Hamilton Beach - it´s ok but nothing special. I´ve heard that the Cuisinart are easily the best.
For bread and cake-making, we´ve got a 17 ton KitchenAid ( at least, it feels like 17 tons every time I take it out of the bottom of the cupboard) which works very well. Not too happy about the attachments, however ( sausage maker, spaghetti thingy, etc) as they tend to fall off in the middle of the process.
According to "Which?" magazine, the Ninja is best, followed by Breville and Cuisinart . Huge differnce in price, though!

That General Electric processor was the one my mother-in-law had. Bought absolutely ages ago and solid as a rock, until the cleaning lady dropped in on the floor and the thing smashed:eek::eek:.
I´ve got a Hamilton Beach - it´s ok but nothing special. I´ve heard that the Cuisinart are easily the best.
For bread and cake-making, we´ve got a 17 ton KitchenAid ( at least, it feels like 17 tons every time I take it out of the bottom of the cupboard) which works very well. Not too happy about the attachments, however ( sausage maker, spaghetti thingy, etc) as they tend to fall off in the middle of the process.
According to "Which?" magazine, the Ninja is best, followed by Breville and Cuisinart . Huge differnce in price, though!

I have the same Cuisinart food processor that Shermie posted above. It is a monster.

CD

Breville has two models out. They both have motors that feel like they weigh a ton!!

For bread and cake-making, we´ve got a 17 ton KitchenAid
I've got their stand mixer and it's great, I've had it close to 30 years now, and I use it several times a week.

Their food processor, though...garbage. I use the stand mixer for pizza dough sometimes, but I like the food processor because it's so fast. I use it maybe 80% of the time for pizza dough, and the other 20% gets split evenly between the stand mixer and my own two hands. :)

Back
Top Bottom