New herbs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:19 PM
I ordered (via the internet) some herbs I've never tried before: Epazote, Hyssop and Strawbini. The Epazoti is thanks to @CraigC (see here), a Mexican herb; the hyssop is whim and if anyone knows how to use it please tell me; the strawbini is not really a herb I suppose. Its a type of spinach which also bears little strawberry like 'fruits'. So - if anyone has knowledge about these plants or how to cook with them please say!

fullsizeoutput_49d7.jpeg

According to Elizabeth David, hyssop is "A bitter herb, used at one time in savoury stuffings but mainly regarded as a medicinal herb. Used also in liqueurs."

My Food from your Garden book states that "finely chopped leaves may be used instead of mint and can be sprinkled over vegetables, salads, meat stews and vegetable soups. Hyssop is also added to fruit salad and cups, sprinkled over grapefruit and added to apple and apricot pies and flans"

There, that should keep you going for a bit!

According to Elizabeth David, hyssop is "A bitter herb, used at one time in savoury stuffings but mainly regarded as a medicinal herb. Used also in liqueurs."

My Food from your Garden book states that "finely chopped leaves may be used instead of mint and can be sprinkled over vegetables, salads, meat stews and vegetable soups. Hyssop is also added to fruit salad and cups, sprinkled over grapefruit and added to apple and apricot pies and flans"

There, that should keep you going for a bit!

Oh thanks! I'll be experimenting.

Oh thanks! I'll be experimenting.
I've just found my herbs reference book. Apparently the medicinal uses include treatment for catarrh, insect bites and stings, and the easing of bruising, especially black eyes. Suggest restricting the experiments to culinary ones :)

Back
Top Bottom