New Orleans-Style Shrimp

Peel these at the table and serve with a slice of crusty baguette

3 TB. Worcestershire Sauce
2 TB. fresh lemon juice
1 TB. butter, melted
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
2 lbs. unpeeled large shrimp
2 lemons, sliced into 1/4" slices

4 tsp. butter, divided

1. Combine first 11 ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Cover and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 425 F.
3. Fold 4 (16" x 12") sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil in half crosswise. Open foil. Remove shrimp mixture from bowl; reserve marinade. Place about 2 1/4 cups shrimp mixture on half of each foil sheet. Drizzle remaining marinade evenly over shrimp. Top each serving with 1 tsp. butter. Fold foil over shrimp; tightly seal edges.
4. Place packets on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 F. for 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Place on plates.

Source: Cooking Light mag. April 2007

TIP: If you don't have heavy duty foil, double what you do have. When I made this, I didn't do that and I think the shrimp might have been a little over cooked.

Last edited:
I cut through the shell with a sharp pairing knife into the flesh and remove the vein while raw, leaving the shell on. I don't want to eat the stuff in the vein nor do I want my guests to either. Takes some time and practice but well worth it, IMO.

I cut through the shell with a sharp pairing knife into the flesh and remove the vein while raw, leaving the shell on. I don't want to eat the stuff in the vein nor do I want my guests to either. Takes some time and practice but well worth it, IMO.

This is new to me. Sounds a bit tricky. I've eaten shell on prawns in top restaurants and they don't do this. Doesn't the shell fall away & come off whilst cooking if you cut through the back of the shell?

No. You can buy them deveined in the way Craig noted also. You could also use a small/tiny pair of straight bladed scissors as well like the ones I use for petit point, AKA embroidery scissors. They are very sharp and have sharp pointed tips. I've removed stitches with them.

Trust me, you wouldn't like the "vein" contents of the Royal Reds we buy. Nasty stuff!

Have now found lots of on-line tutorials on how to devein shell on prawns. Maybe the prawns we get here aren't so nasty in terms of their digestive tracks - I'll think about this in future though. Its all about learning.

Prawns and shrimps come both ways here, I don't mind taking veins out, I'm reasonably good at it, as mentioned it can be like a surgeons job or simply nicking it one end and pulling from the other end as I do with crayfish. I'm the only seafood person in my house, kids don't eat seafood except blue cod, that's the top fish here. I made beer battered fish last weekend. For friends.

Russ

Here in the States, we can buy shrimp already deveined.

Now, what about the recipe? lol

Prawns and shrimps come both ways here, I don't mind taking veins out, I'm reasonably good at it, as mentioned it can be like a surgeons job or simply nicking it one end and pulling from the other end as I do with crayfish. I'm the only seafood person in my house, kids don't eat seafood except blue cod, that's the top fish here. I made beer battered fish last weekend. For friends.

Russ

If your crayfish are spiny like ours, after the tail is removed, break off a piece of the antena and use it to remove the "S" chute. Just reverse it so the spines are backwards.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom