new potatoes

CookieMonster

Local time
11:01 AM
new potatoes are a favorite side here, and this is one of my favorite methods.....

these were advertised as "Baby Golds"

washed, parboiled ~20 minutes until soft
cooled
cut in half then
saute in olive oil + smidge butter, cut side down
then rustle pan and brown all over....

IMG_1235.JPG

This is very similar to a dish my mother often made. She didn't parboil the potatoes though. Just slice and fry in pan with onion slices using loose fitting lid.

sounds like: potato Lyonnaise - slices of potato with other goodies done in a fry pan.... which is - going back to last century....- how I happened to develop this 'technique' - i.e. trials and failures . . . burnt onion and crunchy potato.....
not quite thinkable that I "invented" it - I suspect it's been around and likely "named" for ages...

I like the parboiled/cooked idea because getting the temps and timing "right" using raw potatoes is not exactly easy.
bit like recipes calling for rice - cooking the rice separately and to perfection.... works so much better than trying to cook the rice and the dish "as one"...

sounds like: potato Lyonnaise - slices of potato with other goodies done in a fry pan.... which is - going back to last century....- how I happened to develop this 'technique' - i.e. trials and failures . . . burnt onion and crunchy potato.....
not quite thinkable that I "invented" it - I suspect it's been around and likely "named" for ages...

I like the parboiled/cooked idea because getting the temps and timing "right" using raw potatoes is not exactly easy.
bit like recipes calling for rice - cooking the rice separately and to perfection.... works so much better than trying to cook the rice and the dish "as one"...
I like par-boiling potatoes that I'll eventually fry because it seems to really promote that crunchy-outside-creamy-middle that I love so much.

My mother called them "home fries". This is the first I've heard the name "Potato Lyonnaise" but it looks exactly like what she used to make. I have them every now and then.

Switch the olive oil for butter, then you have good new potatoes.

I like them with either. Or even cooked in my new found oil - red palm fruit & rapeseed oil. Its lovely! Ethically sourced of course. A great orange colour. High in anti oxidants blah blah...

I like par-boiling potatoes that I'll eventually fry because it seems to really promote that crunchy-outside-creamy-middle that I love so much.

Not so much with new 'waxy' potatoes - or am I wrong? I certainly par-boil floury potatoes before roasting them.

Back
Top Bottom