New Year's Eve and New Year's Day menus

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
1:19 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
I can't wait. I haven't gone out for New Years Eve for several years, being abed well before the new one gets rung in.

This year, while I am not going anywhere anyway, I will set the alarm for somewhere near 11:30 pm, and go out on the deck to bank in the New Year beating pots and pans or whatever is handy. Chase away all that OLD NONSENSE!!!! Some Prosecco!

Haven't planned all aspects of the meals for those two days but:

New Years Eve:

Main Meal: Ribeye steak, and potatoes in some format (chunky mashed or scalloped - and either format will also have CHEESE). And a veggie, TBD.

New Years Day:

Main Meal: Cotechino con Lenticchie - A traditional Italian New Years Eve dish. I will make this early this next week, and again on New Year's Day itself - first time so I can add it to the blog so others can cook it in advance. I ordered the special type of pork sausage (cotechino) and the special lentils from an Italian specialty store and they are here in the house). I will probably just eat that at this meal.

More to come as I know....

(In past years, I went soul/Southern (US) foods, and Scottish Hogmanay foods)

New Year's Eve will probably be fondue. New Year's Day will either be pork and sauerkraut or ElizabethB's drunken pork roast - I'd opt for the latter, and since I'm the chef...but I'll have to break the sad, sad news to my wife first - she's all about the P & S on NYD!

No idea what sides will be. I saw Pepin make a mashed potato soufflé/gratin thingamajig, I might try that. Ginger cake for dessert.

A lot of people have traditional "Good Luck" New Year's day foods. My parents always have pork and sauerkraut (the pork is cooked in the kraut until dry and tough as shoe leather).

Down South, black eyed peas are a NYD must for good luck.

I don't have one.

CD

A lot of people have traditional "Good Luck" New Year's day foods. My parents always have pork and sauerkraut (the pork is cooked in the kraut until dry and tough as shoe leather).

Down South, black eyed peas are a NYD must for good luck.

I don't have one.

CD

All four of my grandparents were from the South so the tradition was brought with them. My mother always cooked black-eyed peas, collard greens and cornbread for NYD.

It depends on what G is doing. He may be at his hunting camp with his son. If G is home he likes "party food" for NY Eve. I have 1 pack of puff pastry in the freezer and will get another. G loves pastry wrapped Brie and mini savory tarts. Black Eye Peas and Cabbage are traditional sides for NYD - cabbage for wealth and peas for luck. If G is home I think I will prepare roast duck. G has both Teal and Mallard in the freezer. If G is at the camp I will make "party food" for myself, eat it NYE and graze on it NYD.

I wouldn't mind some pork shoulder, cooked low and slow, with some kraut and mashed potatoes. Not for good luck. Just because I haven't had it in a while, and it is good.

CD
That's what we're having. Just this morning, I mentioned the possibility of making ElizabethB's Drunk Pork Roast:

"Yeah, so New Year's Day, I saw this great recipe on the cooking forum, called Drunk Pork Roa-"

"NO! PORK AND SAUERKRAUT AND MASHED POTATOES!"

"Yeah, but this is made with wine and-"

"PORK! SAUERKRAUT! MASHED POTATOES!"

So...we're having pork and sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. :laugh:

New Year's eve: I'll dine alone, no idea what I will cook yet. But my boyfriend will join me after dinner and I will make us bruschettas and garlic cheese bread

New Year's day: lunch will be meat fondue and dinner will be meatloaf

That's what we're having. Just this morning, I mentioned the possibility of making ElizabethB's Drunk Pork Roast:

"Yeah, so New Year's Day, I saw this great recipe on the cooking forum, called Drunk Pork Roa-"

"NO! PORK AND SAUERKRAUT AND MASHED POTATOES!"

"Yeah, but this is made with wine and-"

"PORK! SAUERKRAUT! MASHED POTATOES!"

So...we're having pork and sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. :laugh:
Image2.jpg

New Year's Eve invites have gone out to about 15 friends, my friend butcher will bone out lamb prolly two shoulders with sage and onion stuffing. Rolled and slow cooked on BBQ.casual eating through the night with snacks etc. we will supply everything except booze. Hot meat sammiches etc.
New Year's Day spent doing nothing. Leftovers??

Russ

Back
Top Bottom