New York style cheesecake

Tonychantelle

Local time
5:49 AM
I got this recipe from YouTube.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tspdJ6hxqnc

Unfortunately it fails to explain certain questions I have, such as
1: how much water to add (my biscuit base seemed soggy)
2: how much to whisk. I didn't notice stiff peaks forming in the video, it still seemed rather liquid like. I ask this because my end result was extremely Soft and basically collapsed into a pile of goop.
I did refridgerate the whisks and bowl and then placed that bowl into a larger bowl containing ice water with ice cubes in it, as in previous attempts without doing this my cheesecakes have also collapsed.
Not even sure if this cheesecake is supposed to or needs stiff peaks as it contains a lot of sour cream (which I imagine won't thicken like double cream (BTW is double =heavy or is it whipping cream I went with double)

Basically I failed this recipe. Here to get some advice
Thanks

I got this recipe from YouTube.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tspdJ6hxqnc

Unfortunately it fails to explain certain questions I have, such as
1: how much water to add (my biscuit base seemed soggy)
2: how much to whisk. I didn't notice stiff peaks forming in the video, it still seemed rather liquid like. I ask this because my end result was extremely Soft and basically collapsed into a pile of goop.
I did refridgerate the whisks and bowl and then placed that bowl into a larger bowl containing ice water with ice cubes in it, as in previous attempts without doing this my cheesecakes have also collapsed.
Not even sure if this cheesecake is supposed to or needs stiff peaks as it contains a lot of sour cream (which I imagine won't thicken like double cream (BTW is double =heavy or is it whipping cream I went with double)

Basically I failed this recipe. Here to get some advice
Thanks

The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe you used precisely a cream that needed to be worked with another cheese or thicken with gelatin in sheets or agar agar.

The recipe looks fine to me....yes double cream is the correct one to use.

Generally when baking something in a bain marie you want the water to come halfway up the side of your cake tin. If your base was soggy then maybe you didn't seal the foil around your cake tin and some water got in?

New York style baked cheesecakes are fairly dense and the batter is normally quite liquid... there's no need for a lot of whipping to incorporate air.

I don't understand why you chilled your implements though? What was the idea behind that?

Here is the list of ingredients:

Ingredients (18cm tin)
120g biscuits
60g melted butter
400g creamcheese (Full fat)
120g granulated sugar
200g sour cream or 100g heavy cream + 100g yogurt
150ml heavy cream
2 eggs
2tbsp corn starch
1.5tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 lemon juice

My response:
You don't need any water in the biscuit base - just melted butter.
Yes, double cream = heavy cream
No real need to whisk into peaks. The eggs should set the mixture when its cooked.

I'm not sure why the eggs didn't set the mixture if you cooked it according to the recipe...

Hope this helps a bit!

Hi thanks for you replies.
As reuben stated, I had read other recipes which called for chilling the whisks to facilitate whipping. I just assumed the same principle would apply here.

Unfortunately the video doesn't really talk - guide you through things (like in a cooking show) so I'm copying what I see without understanding why.

It's important to note that I went by the instructions for an 8.2 inch tin (which according to the same youtube video require 1.5 times ingredients and a lengthened baking time)

I think I didn't apply the lengthened baking time, even though I did use 1.5 times ingredients. Either that or the fact that my larger tin was slightly too big for a sheet of aluminium foil.

Since I don't think you can get larger sheets of aluminium, next time I'm going to buy a 6 inch Tin and modify the ingredients and cooking time according to the recipe.
That way I won't waste all that mascarpone.

Does anyone else find it hard to get vanilla extract in the lock down?
I can only find vanilla pods at £6.50 for 2 or vanilla bean paste at £5.00

Thanks for your help though
I guess I thought the foil was to facilitate cooking not water proof the tin, so I wasn't t careful about making sure the foil covered the bottom completely with my big tin.
. Seems stupid I know.
But I know for next time now.
Thanks again

Hi thanks for you replies.
As reuben stated, I had read other recipes which called for chilling the whisks to facilitate whipping. I just assumed the same principle would apply here.

Unfortunately the video doesn't really talk - guide you through things (like in a cooking show) so I'm copying what I see without understanding why.

It's important to note that I went by the instructions for an 8.2 inch tin (which according to the same youtube video require 1.5 times ingredients and a lengthened baking time)

I think I didn't apply the lengthened baking time, even though I did use 1.5 times ingredients. Either that or the fact that my larger tin was slightly too big for a sheet of aluminium foil.

Since I don't think you can get larger sheets of aluminium, next time I'm going to buy a 6 inch Tin and modify the ingredients and cooking time according to the recipe.
That way I won't waste all that mascarpone.

Does anyone else find it hard to get vanilla extract in the lock down?
I can only find vanilla pods at £6.50 for 2 or vanilla bean paste at £5.00

Thanks for your help though
I guess I thought the foil was to facilitate cooking not water proof the tin, so I wasn't t careful about making sure the foil covered the bottom completely with my big tin.
. Seems stupid I know.
But I know for next time now.
Thanks again
I will say this about springform pans...I've used several over the years, including very pricy ones, and they've all leaked. Now, I make things like cheesecake in a regular pie dish, or even a cake pan. Yeah, I can't really unmold it for the nice presentation, but I'm ok with that when it's just me and my wife.

Link doesn't work. Might just be in UK its not working.
It's Alton Brown's recipe for whipped cream. Literally the first one I pulled up. Here's the first instruction:

1. Place a metal mixing bowl and metal whisk into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes.

I don't use a bain marie anymore, just put a large cake pan in the bottom rack and fill it with water. Haven't had a problem yet from doing that. Cheesecakes cook through and don't crack.

Alternatively, they do make heavy duty foil that is 18 inches wide. Regardless of what foil I previously used, I did double or triple wrap.

When cooked, only a very small circle in the center should be jiggly. When you take the cheesecake out of the oven, run a sharp knife around the edge to a couple of inches depth or 5 cm or so.

I've never heard of this! But I've never had a problem getting cream to whip up either.
Yeah, if you google something like "tips for whipping cream," it's nearly always the first tip: make sure everything is cold 🥶!

Personally, I've never whipped cream by hand. I think I tried once and after about three or four minutes, it wasn't going anywhere, so I gave up. If I need a lot of whipped cream, I use my stand mixer, and if I need a little whipped cream, I use my stick blender (although that takes forever).

My wife just uses the refrigerated can. :)

Personally, I've never whipped cream by hand. I think I tried once and after about three or four minutes, it wasn't going anywhere, so I gave up. If I need a lot of whipped cream, I use my stand mixer, and if I need a little whipped cream, I use my stick blender (although that takes forever).
I almost always whip cream by hand - doesn't take me very long at all and I can't be bothered with washing up the mixer etc.

I wonder though....I always use double cream which is around 50% fat so is probably easier to whip up than creams with a lower fat content.

I almost always whip cream by hand - doesn't take me very long at all and I can't be bothered with washing up the mixer etc.

Well - no stand mixer here but I do have a hand mixer which is perfect for whipping egg whites and cream. It also has a dough hook which I've never used. The whisk just pops out and gets rinsed under the tap. If its only a small amount I do it by hand, though.

Back
Top Bottom