Recipe No Bake, Tofu Chocolate Tart

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:30 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is a special occasions "cake" that even tofu haters love. It's a no-bake cake/tart that just happens to be gluten free (if your oats are gluten free) as well as vegan. The base is for a 20cm tin (Victoria sandwich cake size). Don't worry about being too precise with the quantities for the base (except with salt).

This makes 8 portions. If you want a larger version, increase the base ingredients by 50% and double the filling quantity for a much larger 12 inch version that serves 16. It is a very filling tart.

Ingredients - base (quantities in brackets are for a larger version)
33g (50g) whole almonds
33g (50g) halves or pieces walnuts (or brazil nuts)
¼ tsp sea salt (finely ground)
22.5g (35g) cacao powder
33g (50g) raw sugar (or soft brown sugar)
50g (65g) almond meal
22½g (35g) rolled porridge oats (ensure gluten free if needed to be gluten free)
45g (60-75g) deodorised coconut oil
½tsp (1tsp) vanilla paste

Ingredients - filling
300g firm silken tofu, drained
75g maple syrup (or agave nectar if preferred)
30g coconut cream
25g deodorised coconut oil
300g dark (vegan) chocolate

Method
  1. Line your loose bottomed 8"/20cm diameter baking tin with greaseproof parchment for easy removal.
  2. Add all of the ingredients for the base to a food processor and blitz until it assembles in to large lumps and is darker in colour. Turn out into the baking tin and press into the base to form the bottom of the tart. Put into the fridge for 10 minutes to cool and set.
  3. Next, melt your dark chocolate. How is up to you, but I just break my chocolate into squares, put it into a 500ml Pyrex measuring jug and into the microwave for 90 seconds and then check. Extend as needed.
  4. Warm your food processor bowl and blade in hot water, dry thoroughly and add all of the filling ingredients and process immediate. Everything needs to be hot to pull this off, so if needed warm the bowl again carefully. You can use a Vitamix which will generate heat but it isn't easy with the quantity of filling unless you have the smaller 1.4L jug which I don't.
  5. The moment it is all combined and still warm, pour it out over the base, scrap the sides of the food processor and level off the top as quickly as you can. No second chances once it is in the base, so if in doubt warm it at again before pouring.
  6. Leave to set in the fridge, extract from baking tin, decorate and serve.

My sources are multiple but the filling comes from the Sweet Bones Cookbook.

Back
Top Bottom