Home kook
Staff member
Local time
10:55 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
View attachment 29414
IMG_0640.JPG

I am always looking for healthier alternatives to things, so this method caught my eye. And, when @morning glory commented about a recipe being a no churn recipe, I decided to make this one that anyone could do. The only equipment you need is a blender. And, fitting with my desire to lighten things up, it does weigh in considerably lighter than a typical ice cream:

Banana ice cream calories.JPG

Note that there is no sugar added: the sweetness of very ripe bananas and ripe cherries is all you need. This recipe technically could have been even lighter (~83 calories per 1/2 cup) if I had decided to not add the half-and-half. But, I really wanted it to be creamy. Best of all, it's delicious!

Ingredients

4 bananas, very ripe
1 cup cherries
1/2 cup half-and-half (or 1/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup heavy cream)
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

1. Peel bananas and cut into thick slices. Place in a zipper bag in a single layer. Freeze for 3 hours or until frozen solid.

IMG_0535.JPG

2. Place bananas in a blender with half-and-half and vanilla extract.

IMG_0637.JPG

3. Pulse blender for about a minute. Scoop blended banana at the bottom and mix unblended bananas toward the bottom. Repeat until the mixture is fully blended.

IMG_0638.JPG

4. If you don't own a cherry pitter, use a chopstick: remove the stem, and push through the stem end until the pit pops out. Chop cherries roughly.

IMG_0636.JPG

5. Mix cherries into the banana mixture until evenly distributed.

IMG_0639.JPG

Last edited:
Technically, it can be done with just 1 ingredient (bananas), but besides adding the creaminess with the half-and-half, cherries are so cheap now that I had to throw them in.

Yeah - I came across this thing about using bananas somewhere before and tried it. It really works - and I love the cherries as a combo. In fact, if I remember, the taste isn't very banana-ish, so it can carry lots of additional flavours.

Back
Top Bottom