Local time
9:04 AM
Website
www.youtube.com
No Knead Bread in Dutch Oven
View: https://youtu.be/pjK_UJPfYsA

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups (about 400 - 450 g) all purpose flour
  • 1.5 cups (about 370 ml) warm water (not boiling hot)
  • 1 tsp dry yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp cast sugar
Instructions:
  1. Mix dry yeast with the warm water and the sugar. Let the yeast activate for 5 minutes
  2. Mix 1 tsp salt with the flour.
  3. Add to the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon or spatula until a dough forms
  4. Cover and let it rise for 2 hours
  5. Uncover the dough and gently deflate with your hands
  6. Using a rubber spatula fold the dough from the sides towards the center
  7. Repeat with all sides until the dough is folded from the sides.
  8. Let it have another rise for 1 hour
  9. Gently remove the dough from the bowl and with your hands shape into a rough ball
  10. Place a baking paper into the bowl, coat the paper with olive oil and lightly flour
  11. Transfer the dough into the bowl, cover and let it rest while the oven and the Dutch oven inside is heated to 230°C / 450°F
  12. Transfer the baking paper and the dough from the bowl to the hot Dutch oven and close the lid
  13. Bake for 30 minutes and remove the lid of the Dutch oven and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown and crispy
  14. Let it cool down a bit before slicing.

I'm also making this almost every week :)
I usually use America's Test Kitchen's recipe, which adds a little beer and vinegar to mimic a sourdough taste.

One thing of interest I'm going to try next week - I was going through some old articles on Breadtopia, and I found where ATK went back and tested using a pre-heated dutch oven versus a cold one, and they found no difference in the end product; it just takes a little longer to bake the bread, so now they recommend not pre-heating the pot.

I'm going to try that and see how it works. :)

I usually use America's Test Kitchen's recipe, which adds a little beer and vinegar to mimic a sourdough taste.

One thing of interest I'm going to try next week - I was going through some old articles on Breadtopia, and I found where ATK went back and tested using a pre-heated dutch oven versus a cold one, and they found no difference in the end product; it just takes a little longer to bake the bread, so now they recommend not pre-heating the pot.

I'm going to try that and see how it works. :)
That definitely works, I've already tried it, but bread in pre-heated pot comes out slightly more crispy and better golden color (to my liking).
I didn't notice any difference in the taste though 👍

With cold pot? Let me know how it turned out :okay:
I went ahead and pre-heated the pot.

Overall, it's very good. I like that unlike every other no-knead recipe I've tried, this one is a same-day recipe.

I think I should have left it in a little longer, not quite as brown as I'd like, but the flavor is very good.

I would also add that I think my dough may have been a bit wetter than yours. I poured it out to do the final shape and it spread like a pancake and didn't want to stay together at all. Your shaping ability is a lot better than mine! :)

I would also add that I think my dough may have been a bit wetter than yours. I poured it out to do the final shape and it spread like a pancake and didn't want to stay together at all. Your shaping ability is a lot better than mine! :)
I'm also not that good at shaping, that's why I keep it a bit dry to shape it easily. Yours looks great to me, yes I would bake it for another 5 minutes maybe.
Next time, I will also put a tray filled with water to create extra steam and see how it goes 👍

We're having spaghetti-and-meatballs next week, so I'll be having another go at this.

I love the cruchy sound
I went ahead and pre-heated the pot.

Overall, it's very good. I like that unlike every other no-knead recipe I've tried, this one is a same-day recipe.

I think I should have left it in a little longer, not quite as brown as I'd like, but the flavor is very good.

View attachment 54886

View attachment 54887

View attachment 54888

How are you getting those large 'holes' in the crumb? I note that Hungry Man's loaf doesn't have them. No criticism - it looks good.

You have mad breadmaking skills! I can't wait until I can get it to turn out that way. ;-)

I love the cruchy sound

How are you getting those large 'holes' in the crumb? I note that Hungry Man's loaf doesn't have them. No criticism - it looks good.
I didn't do anything special. I was surprised the crumb and flavor were as nicely developed as they were, given such a short rise time for a no-knead bread.

You have mad breadmaking skills! I can't wait until I can get it to turn out that way. ;-)
Thanks! If you have an oven-safe pan and a tight-fitting lid, this would be a great bread for you to try. I've even seen Pepin mix bread up in a saucepan, let it rise in the same pan, and bake it in the same pan with the lid on. Go for it! :)

Thanks! If you have an oven-safe pan and a tight-fitting lid, this would be a great bread for you to try. I've even seen Pepin mix bread up in a saucepan, let it rise in the same pan, and bake it in the same pan with the lid on. Go for it! :)
You make everything sound easy! I don't have an oven-safe pan with a lid so I'll have to wait on trying this.

Back
Top Bottom