No salads to be had

oddduck

Über Member
Local time
8:59 PM
if you had a hankering for a nice green salad lately in the U.S. you might be out of luck...there is a recall on lettuce. So i hit two grocery stores tonight and both were empty of romaine and anything that contained romaine so salad fixins were slim...i had the choice of clow slaw and more cole slaw and spinach....all the other bags of salad were gone. But cucumbers were on sale so i got some but no lettuce in either store.

Plenty of other lettuce choices beside Romaine. We are having a salad as a main using red leaf this week.

Not in the stores i went to. Either they pulled it all just to be safe or other people bought all the other choices before i got there. The shelves were bare. Maybe i should try growing lettuce cause these lettuce recalls happen often.

Not in the stores i went to. Either they pulled it all just to be safe or other people bought all the other choices before i got there. The shelves were bare. Maybe i should try growing lettuce cause these lettuce recalls happen often.

You can only grow lettuce through about end of March if we have an extended cool period. The minute temps go above mid to high 70s for more than a day or 2 it's done. I grew mixed lettuces for a couple of years before we downsized and didn't have enough yard room for much of a garden. Course you can always grow it inside if you have a window with morning or afternoon sun.

I think the Romaine scare is over. heard it on the news about a day ago.

I like butter lettuce, spinach, radicchio, arugula. I was going to pick up Belgian endive for Thanksgiving, and stuff the leaves with blue cheese, walnuts, and apples or pears for an appetizer. Got sidetracked.

Last edited:
You can only grow lettuce through about end of March if we have an extended cool period. The minute temps go above mid to high 70s for more than a day or 2 it's done. I grew mixed lettuces for a couple of years before we downsized and didn't have enough yard room for much of a garden. Course you can always grow it inside if you have a window with morning or afternoon sun.

My dad grew lettuce but i don't remember the particulars. He grew cucmbers too and they went crazy...i tried to grow cucumbers and i failed miserably. I can grow herbs and bell peppers but so far most other veggies have been a failure for me.

Lettuce was easy, just several hours in the sun and plenty of water, with some vege fertilizer once in a while.

You should try Everglades tomatoes. I'm guessing you are south of Tampa from what you wrote. They should grow very well. They are tiny, like dime sized, but very sweet and not very acidy. Once the plant gets going, which takes a bit, it really goes as long as you feed it once a month and water regularly. They need a good bit of sun though. You have to order through the Internet. I'll see if I can find the last place I got the seeds, paid very little, like a dollar or 2, if you are interested, or I can send you some for free if you want. They are the only native tomato to Florida and will grow pretty much year round with minimal care, and boy do they produce. And they spread, we had little sprouts growing everywhere in our loose stone walkway in our little courtyard from the birds stealing the tomatoes and dropping seeds.

I've grown collard greens, tomatoes, Roma and the Everglades, eggplants, beets, leeks, herbs, swiss chard, shiso. I never had much luck with peppers or cukes. I'm trying again with peppers, Shishito and Yatsufusa hot peppers, in huge pots. I also just started a new Everglades tomato plant, which is why I had purchased the seeds, and a new pot of shiso.

Last edited:
We are lucky we grow lettuces from seed and plant out every week or so. We also have a greenhouse where we progress things like cucumber. We have about 15 small cuces growing ATM. Only about 2 inches ATM. Peppers and chillies also in the greenhouse. But remember summer here starts tomorrow.

Russ

I thought i would post a photo from my grocery store...cole slaw and spinach, no lettuce of any sort to be had. Usually this section is full of different varieties of bagged salads featuring different greens but now cole slaw and spinach

C8834DC7-33B2-42A5-BB57-EDEC312F0DD9.jpeg

Western type lettuce is quite expensive here and not always available. We tend to buy green oak or red oak.

I thought i would post a photo from my grocery store...cole slaw and spinach, no lettuce of any sort to be had. Usually this section is full of different varieties of bagged salads featuring different greens but now cole slaw and spinach

View attachment 20876

Oh dear - well spinach is good in salad. Do you not have any heads of leaves (un-bagged)? I mean like iceberg, endive etc.

Makes me feel so lucky to be in the UK where the choice is huge. I had a quick look at the on-line delivery supermarket where I usually shop and there are 23 kinds of heads of salad leaves and numerous bags of salad leaves.

Here are a few of the heads of salad:

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 02.31.15.png

Good pic. I do my grocery shopping online as well. When I was looking for Endive around Thanksgiving for an appetizer, the Market had it listed as chicory without a picture. Kind of threw me off, as I didn't realize it was endive. So I passed, and just never got around to it. Live and learn. We have very ample produce departments. Unfortunately, the recall on lettuce is all too often.

There just is no lettuce to be had locally. Usually i can get a head of iceburg or romaine and then all kinds of other lettuces bagged. Actually i will take that back i did see in the organic section a tiny little head of some lettuce...i think think they called it ruffled leaf lettuce but way too dear a price for me.

Back
Top Bottom