Non-Stick Cooking Pan

zararian

Veteran
Local time
5:12 PM
Do you have a non-stick cooking pan?
This kind of pan is pricey here and I think very few have it cause they do not see it as important or as necessary as the other common tools. If you have a non-stick pan/pans, how much? Is it worth it?

I personally am not a fan of nonstick pans, but they are good to me for less important dishes like scrambled eggs. Otherwise, for main dishes, I try not to use them as much since I feel the texture of frying on a nonstick is still very much different from cooking on more traditional surfaces. You could easily just work around the sticking issues anyway as long as you know the tool well enough to figure out the right amount of heat and ingredients and oil ratio.

I mainly use non-stick pans, but I've been told that they are not suitable for cooking at very high temperatures, since it will damage the non-stick surface and can also leech dangerous chemicals into your food.

However I have been meaning to invest in some plain surface pans instead. In particular, I've had my eye on some at my local restaurant supply store. They are actually a little bit cheaper than the non stick pans as well. I like the idea that I can scrub them clean without having to worry about damaging any surface. Also, they should last much longer as a result. Plus I can heat them to much higher temperatures when searing meats.

I believe the pans I am looking at are aluminium though, which also raises some other issues - namely when cooking with tomatoes, since the acid in them is supposed to react to it. I need to check if the pans are treated in some way to prevent this.

I personally love non-stick pans and have owned several over the past few years. On average they only last about 1 year before the surface get's damaged, no matter how carefully you work with it. I never use any metal utensils in it or even wash it in the dishwasher, yet the surface looses it's non-stick properties over time. Recently I invested in a T-Fal endorsed by Jamie Oliver, but it also lasted only about a year.

Do you have a non-stick cooking pan?
This kind of pan is pricey here and I think very few have it cause they do not see it as important or as necessary as the other common tools. If you have a non-stick pan/pans, how much? Is it worth it?
I heard some negative reviews on the non-stick pans, especially the teflon pans. Teflon is not good for your body. I thought about getting a non-stick pan, but I would stay away from the teflon. http://www.ewg.org/research/healthy-home-tips/tip-6-skip-non-stick-avoid-dangers-teflon

I always use non stick whenever I can as they are easier to clean. They aren't as expensive these days and keep well as long as you take care of them and don't scrub them too hard. For high temperatures , cast iron is best and is what most chefs use, but I rarely use really high temperatures for my dishes.

If you use teflon, you should make sure not to use metal utensils in the pan, over time it ruins the coating and should be thrown out as posted above it really isn't good for you. I have been looking at a different type of non stick pan recently. I hadn't heard of it. Does anyone have any experience Rock Tec surfaces on pans advertised as non stick? Unlike teflon the surface is slightly pebbly. Looks potentially more durable then teflon, but I am still trying to decide how it is non stick.

Back
Top Bottom