Not a survey yet?

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:14 PM
13yo txt me last night. Can I come to your house tomorrow please . We are studying cooking in nz. I know you have lots of recipes. Can Iook at them please.
Me yes you can
Her thx.
Me want me to pick you up?
Yes please. Where we normally meet. At 3.
Me. See you then.

Ok I dont know where this is leading? So I'll report back. I suspect it's a project of some sort. I didnt know where to put this?
She loves food and cooking so this could be really good.

Russ

Ok so she has been asked to contribute a n z recipe. She studied hand written and my collection for an hour. Her phone camera was working.
I explained how I make my garam masala. She was amazed at the smell of it. Shes coming 1 weekend to make butter chicken and sausage rolls. Her mum picked her up and she thanked me and said she got what she wanted.
We will wait for any developments .
Good to see her taking an interest.

Russ

Maybe miscellaneous cooking discussions?

Its fine in this sub forum for now. Its where we put surveys/challenges and it seems that this granddaughter has a challenge from school
Ok so she has been asked to contribute a n z recipe. She studied hand written and my collection for an hour. Her phone camera was working.
I explained how I make my garam masala. She was amazed at the smell of it. Shes coming 1 weekend to make butter chicken and sausage rolls. Her mum picked her up and she thanked me and said she got what she wanted.
We will wait for any developments .
Good to see her taking an interest.

Russ

Well now, can butter chicken be regarded as an NZ recipe? That is the question!

Its fine in this sub forum for now. Its where we put surveys/challenges and it seems that this granddaughter has a challenge from school

Or garam masala as well. But then think about the UK and all of the Indian derived dishes there...

I think rascal wrote he has roots in Cornwall. I imagine there are lots of people in NZ who have roots elsewhere (especially the UK).

Diverse And Delicious Traditional Food In New Zealand

Last edited:

You see? We talked about that. I said a lot of kiwis love Indian food. I consider it kiwi.
Maybe I'm wrong?.

Russ

Or garam masala as well. But then think about the UK and all of the Indian derived dishes there...

I think rascal wrote he has roots in Cornwall. I imagine there are lots of people in NZ who have roots elsewhere (especially the UK).

Diverse And Delicious Traditional Food In New Zealand
Yeah I spent 2 months driving around UK
Spent 10 days in Cornwall studying and photos of grave stones. With family name.
3 brothers moved to nz in 1800s
funny thing was they were miners. I ended up dealing with gold miners and roading quarries. The mining industry was good to me.

Russ

Ok so she has been asked to contribute a n z recipe.
You’ve reminded me that years ago, maybe 20 or more, my niece asked me to do something similar.

I was a little puzzled, because her mom was a caterer, but she wanted her good ol’ Uncle Tasty’s help, because the assignment was to make a dish from another country/culture, and she wanted to make scones!

You’ve reminded me that years ago, maybe 20 or more, my niece asked me to do something similar.

I was a little puzzled, because her mom was a caterer, but she wanted her good ol’ Uncle Tasty’s help, because the assignment was to make a dish from another country/culture, and she wanted to make scones!
I'd go to you as well on the scones. Lol
:)

Russ

You see? We talked about that. I said a lot of kiwis love Indian food. I consider it kiwi.
Maybe I'm wrong?.

Who knows? Its not a name you find on Indian restaurant menus in the UK usually but is popular in many other countries . Here is what wiki offers:

History[edit]​

The curry was developed in New Delhi in the 1950s after the Partition of India[9] by Kundan Lal Jaggi and Kundan Lal Gujral,[10][11] who were both Punjabi Hindu migrants from Peshawar,[12][13][2][14] as well as the founders of the Moti Mahal restaurant in the Daryaganj neighbourhood of Old Delhi.[1][2][3] The curry was made "by chance" by mixing leftover tandoori chicken in a tomato gravy, rich in butter (makhan).[15] In 1974, a recipe was published for "Murgh makhanii (Tandoori chicken cooked in butter and tomato sauce)". In 1975, the English phrase "butter chicken" curry first appeared in print, as a specialty of the house at Gaylord Indian restaurant in Manhattan.[16] In Toronto and the Caribbean, it can be found as a filling in pizza, poutine, wraps, roti, or rolls,[17] while in Australia, and New Zealand, it is also eaten as a pie filling.[18][19][20] The curry is common in India, Pakistan, and many other countries where a South Asian diaspora is present.[21][22][17][23][24]

T
Who knows? Its not a name you find on Indian restaurant menus in the UK usually but is popular in many other countries . Here is what wiki offers:
That's pretty much the way I make mine. I got Isla to smell my garam and and she said: wow ? That smells just like butter chicken.

Russ

3 brothers moved to nz in 1800s
funny thing was they were miners. I ended up dealing with gold miners and roading quarries.
Not strange at all. Cornwall was notable for tin mining. A lot of Cornish folk went to the USA in the 19th century, especially to Wisconsin. Some also went to Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia, where tin mining is/was an important industry.

Back
Top Bottom