Not So Celebrity Chefs

CraigC

Guru
Local time
10:35 AM
We have made several dishes from Norman Van Aken. He tends to make So. Floridian, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico cuisine, incorporating spices and hot peppers which enhance the flavors, mostly in a moderate fashion, but sometimes the food can bite back.

Allen Susser also makes So. Floridian and Caribbean style dishes. He uses spice and hot peppers but in a much more subtle way. Both were well known locally in Florida with their peak popularity in the '90's.

Another well known local chef is Michelle Bernstein who has a couple shows that air on PBS here.

Have any of you heard of them or made any of their dishes?

Norman van Aken rings a bell, but the other two, no.
I know a couple of Venezuelan chefs over there, though. One is Carlos García, who had a restaurant called "Obra kitchen Table " in Brickell.

Norman van Aken rings a bell, but the other two, no.
I know a couple of Venezuelan chefs over there, though. One is Carlos García, who had a restaurant called "Obra kitchen Table " in Brickell.
I don't go into that area of Dade county or the city of Miami down town area. I used to work as a runner for law firm in down town Miami back in the early to mid '70's and did not like the area back then. I did work as a scuba instructor at a dive store in the Sunny Isles area of Miami in the early '80's. Give me the Everglades regions or other open spaces of Florida, including the Atlantic ocean and Gulf of Mexico.

I got to eat in Allen Susser's restaurant back in the mid to late 80s. What stands out to this day was dessert. There were 5 of us and we had a big vanilla bean souffle with tiny, tiny chocolate bits in it. OMG!

Back
Top Bottom