Not your normal garden variety egg - the Chinese Century egg.

bburned

Local time
2:57 PM
Almost frightening as far as food is concerned. But I have always been an adventurous eater. I do most of my cooking, so the wife and I have to consider ingredients that are off the beaten path. Yesterday I lost a tooth filling while flossing (the irony is not lost on me). So I am eating softer foods in the meantime.

enter Jook, or rice porridge. one of my favorite versions has lean pork and century eggs. Pei Dan So Lo Jook.

here it is!

my century egg jook. I am ordering NACHOS after my dentist appointment tomorrow!

100eggjook.jpg 100eggs.jpg

Looks good, and I might even try those eggs in it as well!
Mom and Grandma would make jook/congee whenever us kids were not feeling well. Her family is of Chinese descent but I always thought the word was "congee"? I have since realized Koreans use the word Juk as well (for example Dak Juk). Are they all one and the same?

No way I could eat a Century Egg. I've seen YouTube videos of people eating them. I had to turn those videos off. Sorry, I'm just not that adventurous as an eater.

CD

oh. i buy the egg at my Asian Grocery store. they are duck eggs.

Ah! I don't have that luxury. I'll have to make them myself. Having researched a bit I learned that to make them you need caustic soda which frightens me somewhat since I use it to clean drains! However, I did find that one of my favourite on-line suppliers sells:

Looks good, and I might even try those eggs in it as well!
Mom and Grandma would make jook/congee whenever us kids were not feeling well. Her family is of Chinese descent but I always thought the word was "congee"? I have since realized Koreans use the word Juk as well (for example Dak Juk). Are they all one and the same?

'Jook'/'Juk' is Cantonese dialect I think, whereas 'Congee' is a Euro-bastardized word of Tamil origin. They are referring to the same thing and it also has names in other dialects/languages as well, e.g. 'bubur' in Malay (which is what my mum calls it) and in Hokkien I think it's 'Muy'.

No way I could eat a Century Egg. I've seen YouTube videos of people eating them. I had to turn those videos off. Sorry, I'm just not that adventurous as an eater.

CD

Also, not a big fan of it and couldn't eat a whole egg, but it works surprisingly well in small bits as a foil to the blandness of the porridge.

Tried one, could barely get it past my nose, then I was sorry I did.

Jook Looks delish, but no egg for me, please.
truth be told, i dont think i could simply eat one. they are so rich. its an ingredient for me.

Tried one, could barely get it past my nose, then I was sorry I did.

Jook Looks delish, but no egg for me, please.
Yeah, I had heard that they were rancid smelling/tasting. I don't want to find out.

Back
Top Bottom