Nutmeg

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
8:24 AM
I've been wanting to get some Nutmeg for a long time now to use in Coffee and Desserts. I understand that Mace is made from the shells of Nutmeg and is more polished in flavor and leaves an Orange Color. I've seen Mace compared to Saffron.

I was surprised at the expense of Nutmeg. It isn't cheap. I put out $23 USD for 16 Oz.

Right - buy it in whole form, store it in the freezer, and get a microplane grater to grate it. I use it all the time and I'll bet a bottle with six or eight whole ones lasts me a few years, easily.

Just checked - Kroger sells it (Spice Islands brand) - $10 for 2oz (that's several whole ones).

You are going to be using that nutmeg for a very long time! I don't think I've ever seen a recipe that uses more than a pinch, 1/4 tsp at most.

We buy nutmeg whole, 2 or 3 in a bag, and grate as needed. It must not be too expensive that way, as I don't remember being surprised about the cost.
Do you use it in Coffee? In various desserts? I think I might use it as frequently as Cinnamon.

I use it when called for in savory, as well as sweet dishes. No, I don't put it in coffee. Cinnamon lasts a long time here as well. We use sticks that go into cooking dishes and then are thrown out much more than ground.

I bought that large amount of Nutmeg, because I expect to use it frequently.

A little goes a long way. I buy it whole, and use a fine microplane to grate it. I don't use it in coffee, I like my coffee black. When I buy it, I keep a couple whole ones in the pantry, and vacuum seal and freeze the rest. I never keep more than two in the pantry at a time.

CD

Seriously - that is a huge amount I think. As medtran49 says you only need a pinch. Any more is completely overpowering and unpleasant. I use whole nutmeg and grate (on a nutmeg grater) as required for both savoury and sweet dishes. More often in savoury. Its good in a cheese sauce. One nutmeg will be enough to flavour a dozen dishes or more. Much better as others have said, to buy whole.

Warning: It can be toxic if you use too much at once. See here: High on Nutmeg: The Effects of Too Much and the Dangers
According to the above link, toxicity can occur if a dose is as low as 10g (2 tsp).

I use a fair amount of nutmeg - I put a pinch in any bechamel-based sauce, for me its more a savoury seasoning alongside salt and pepper, rather than a sweet one.
I just buy it ground - it may not be as an intense a flavour as freshly-ground, but its fine for what I need.

Mace I use in curries. Its the hard lacy outer case of the nutmeg and rather pretty to look at:

1610619760939.png

Although it is yellow/orange in colour I don't think it imparts that colour to a dish. Again, a very small amount is required.

Reactions: mjd
Right - buy it in whole form, store it in the freezer, and get a microplane grater to grate it. I use it all the time and I'll bet a bottle with six or eight whole ones lasts me a few years, easily.

Just checked - Kroger sells it (Spice Islands brand) - $10 for 2oz (that's several whole ones).

Oh I’ve never heard about Nutmeg stored in the freezer. I usually store it (both whole form and powder) in the cupboard

Back
Top Bottom