Nutritious appetizers?

angelicagapit

Veteran
Local time
3:14 PM
Any suggestions to yummy, nutritional appetizers?

I want to have this set up on the table during my parents' social gatherings. My parents are health conscious and they often have events at our home with other health-conscious visitors. Any suggestion would do!

Thank you!

How about sticking to the very basics?
Small pieces of fruit, some nuts, cheese, olives, maybe some dried meat etc... put all of that on a platter and done! It's both delicious, healthy and really easy to make. Also different people like different things, so when you have a large variety then you'll be sure that everyone finds something they love.

Something like this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KMdpbmEG0Vw/TMzWhW4Xl1I/AAAAAAAABGA/biCvGh98t6E/s1600/IMG_3279.JPG

The two killers for appetizers probably are the cheese and the base (If it is finger food). Sometimes a cracker or bread can be replaced with a slice of cucumber or tomato (if it is firm). One could also use a healthier bread type base rather than one rich in fat. The cheese is the other culprit. I find that most of the appetizers I make use cheese in one way shape or form. The cheese is often there to bind things together and can sometimes be replaced with something like hummus. Cottage cheese can also work in some situations.
These suggestions will only work with some types of appetizers, but might give you an idea or two.

I love putting cream cheese on small slices of tomatoes. This combination is so amazing, you could even sprinkle a choice of cheese over them if you wanted. I also like putting small amounts of cream cheese (I guess I'm a cream cheese fanatic) on strawberries, so yummy.

You could maybe try out cabbage rolls and just experimenting with what it should be filled with. Here, we typically fill it with chopped duck meat along with a few diced vegetables, but if you want it to be more healthy, then you could maybe just fill it with vegetables, grains or beans instead.

If you're someone trying to avoid high carb foods, then a good and tasty appetizer I'd recommend is prosciutto con melon. It's basically just a slice of prosciutto and canteloupe. What I love about this dish is just how easy it is to make. There's really nothing to "make" at all haha. You just wrap a slice of prosciutto around a melon and eat it. This is full with fat, protein, combined with fruit which makes it a healthy appetizer in small servings.

Back
Top Bottom