Oatmeal

Karalyne

Veteran
Local time
8:37 PM
My husband and I love oatmeal for breakfast. I always cook the quick oats and I add butter, artificial sweetener and cinnamon to them. I know that oats are supposed to be good for your heart, but are they also good for someone who is a diabetic and trying not to gain weight?

My husband and I love oatmeal for breakfast. I always cook the quick oats and I add butter, artificial sweetener and cinnamon to them. I know that oats are supposed to be good for your heart, but are they also good for someone who is a diabetic and trying not to gain weight?
Oatmeal is fine and not ridiculously calorific - but adding butter will pile on the calories! If I eat it I tend to use a little salt and a splash of almond milk. You'd be surprised how just a tiny pinch of salt sweetens up the oatmeal.

Artificial sweeteners and butter aren't very good for diabetics, though oatmeal itself is. The presence of insoluble fiber from steel cut oats and the like is great for the digestive system and insulin regulation. Oatmeal is also pretty low of the GI index, meaning it takes longer to digest. It's sustained release energy.

If you want to sweeten it, use cinnamon instead of artificial sweeteners which can actually spike your blood glucose levels. Cinnamon is much healthier and also controls blood sugars. As Morning Glory mentioned, almond milk is a better alternative than butter. Better yet, use almond butter! Low GI, super healthy, and the protein content gives it staying power.

When I was in high school I always eat oatmeal for breakfast. For four years. I am not kidding.

I am the kind of person who can eat one kind of meal for weeks and not getting bored from it. You know those jokes about how every american only eat PB&J through their childhood, well I was like this with oatmeal. It is quick, delicious ad full of fiber!

You can just cook oatmeal with water and salt,so it's all,down taste,I cook mine with skimmed milk and minimal Demerara sugar and then add banana and dried fruits and nuts,I have also posted in the past that you can use quinoa in porridge

You can just cook oatmeal with water and salt,so it's all,down taste,I cook mine with skimmed milk and minimal Demerara sugar and then add banana and dried fruits and nuts,I have also posted in the past that you can use quinoa in porridge

Wow, salt? I have never even tried coookig oatmeal with salt, but gonna try it after this, for sure. Do you feel the saltiness or it just enhances the taste?

I love oatmeal, I generally put a little brown sugar and fruit on mine. I'm the same way as you @vegan93. I'll eat something for weeks on end and not get bored of it. For a long time I would eat oatmeal with sliced banana on top every single morning. I've since moved to oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries. It's such a hearty and filling breakfast. Good and good for you.

I always have oat meal but almost never use it except sometimes in my baking for myself and my dogs. My son will sometimes have it but I am not yet on the oatmeal train. I always thought it was suppose to be healthy and I for one would not recommend using butter with it. I rather @Berties recipe minus the salt.

Wow, salt? I have never even tried coookig oatmeal with salt, but gonna try it after this, for sure. Do you feel the saltiness or it just enhances the taste?
It's a hard core Scottish thing they would make enough for a day even set some in a draw

We have oats in the cupboard and I have it for breakfast once in a blue moon. But I regularly buy oatmeal every time I go to the supermarket. It is the staple of my mothe who has been hit by a stroke 5 years ago. She is on soft diet because her throat has been affected by the paralysis and she could choke on solid food. It is a good thing that we have oats which the doctor said is very nutritious and comes in a pack with different flavors now. Quaker Oats is what I buy for their small packets is good for one eating.

Back
Top Bottom