Odd Kit Kat's Or Maybe Not.

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
7:35 PM
Chilli.jpg

Green Tea.jpg

http://kotaku.com/5983276/15-flavors-of-japanese-kit-kats-the-snacktaku-review

There are craaaaazy kit kat flavors here! I've had wasabi ones, purple sweet potato ones, cheesecake flavor, apple flavor...basically any time we go and visit a different prefecture, they often have local "specialties" and it becomes somewhat of a quest to find different varieties! I saw a friend of mine post online the other day that she'd just had a tea flavored kit kat variety. Honestly...it's nuts (in a cool way!)

A tip for any travellers, the airports here have a big range of them, if you check out any of the duty free candy stuff you'll probably find a good selection!

I am thinking that the Japanese one is made with wasabi. It's green that is my clue. I have not tried chocolate with anything spicy because my imagination tells me it is an odd combination but reading through your post I was convinced that they could be good after all. Hmm I could have tasted that ice cream with chillies that mom brought home.

Wow, I would be curious to try those flavor combinations. I wonder how I could get my hands on some. I know of a world market store not too far from here maybe they could order something like that. They do have foods from all around the world...but I am not sure...if I have ever seen something like that. I will have to check it out.

As cupcake chef says, there are crazy flavours in japan.

Kit kats are huge business in japan. There are very many flavours, some wild, new and exciting, some good foodie choc combinations. Japanese kit kats are also good quality, not the commercial tat found in the uk. One of japan's top pastry chefs spends hours and hours experimenting with flavour to come up with some quality products.

One of the reasons kit kat took off big time in japan is that it is similar to the japanese kittso kattsu (or something very similar!) which has beneficial good vibes about it. I forget the approximate english translation, maybe @cupcakechef can help here?

Kit kats are huge business in japan. There are very many flavours, some wild, new and exciting, some good foodie choc combinations. Japanese kit kats are also good quality, not the commercial tat found in the uk. One of japan's top pastry chefs spends hours and hours experimenting with flavour to come up with some quality products.

One of the reasons kit kat took off big time in japan is that it is similar to the japanese kittso kattsu (or something very similar!) which has beneficial good vibes about it. I forget the approximate english translation, maybe @cupcakechef can help here?
I'm surprised some of the varieties haven't been marketed here... after all, I can buy good chilli chocolate in Aldi's so its hardly alien to us these days.

It sometimes takes a while new things to get here even though thing sneak in and I am shocked to learn they have reached us. I guess the guys in the house would like this. Me, not so sure. Maybe a small bite.
Since we are on the 'world market shopping' I should suggest you all seek out some Caribbean treasures at said markets. I hear there is one or some in the UK.

You're spot on - the translation of the sound of the words kit kat in Japanese sound similar to "sure winnings" so it's a bit of a good luck charm here!

A new version coming to a japanese kit kat store near you, well, near @cupcakechef anyway:

"Nestlé Japan has launched its latest marketing gimmick aimed at tourists – a sake-infused Kit Kat with an ABV of 0.8%.
2016-01-29-160803-250x640.jpg

Flavoured with sake powder, Nestlé hopes the alcoholic white chocolate wafers will prove popular with tourists.

Japan is known for its inventive selection of flavoured Kit Kats, which in the past have ranged from wasabi and soybean to purple sweet potato and red bean sandwich. However its green tea Kit Kat has proved the most popular among tourists, with sales up 20% in 2015. Nestlé is hoping to replicate this success with its sake favour variation, giving tourists an exclusively Japanese flavour variation.

“Currently, Kit Kat Maccha (Japanese green tea) is very popular among foregin tourists as a souvenir” said Takuyu Hiramatsu of Nestée Japan. “We expect sake Kit Kat to accelerate our inbound business growth.”

The sake Kit Kat is available in Japan only and comes in three-pack boxes and as a special edition nine-piece set packaged in a bottle-shaped box."

Latest news above all shamelessly nicked from 'The Drinks Business'.

@Shadow yes! They have started popping up locally! I think they're just a seasonal thing, but some friends back home in Australia put me on the hunt to find them some! I haven't yet tried it myself but I have a bunch of them in my kitchen pantry to mail out to them.

I should do a review of them for you guys with pictures!

@Shadow yes! They have started popping up locally! I think they're just a seasonal thing, but some friends back home in Australia put me on the hunt to find them some! I haven't yet tried it myself but I have a bunch of them in my kitchen pantry to mail out to them.

I should do a review of them for you guys with pictures!
Please do. And send us some too!

It sometimes takes a while new things to get here even though thing sneak in and I am shocked to learn they have reached us. I guess the guys in the house would like this. Me, not so sure. Maybe a small bite.
Since we are on the 'world market shopping' I should suggest you all seek out some Caribbean treasures at said markets. I hear there is one or some in the UK.
There is/was a Caribbean grocers in my local shopping centre. I'll have to investigate if it's still there.

Sorry flavoured chocolate like that don't do it for me ,marmite choclate is disgusting,chilli choclate was not my scene
I like good choclate,so you can taste what it is and enjoy the quality

Back
Top Bottom