Odd question about tea

sidevalve

Guru
Local time
10:08 AM
Been thinking about the various drinks that call themselves 'tea'.
'Tea' is not a process or a way of cooking it is a drink made from the tea plant just as coffee is a drink made from coffee beans. So why do we seem to call any drink involving hot water 'tea' ?
If I ordered a van from a dealer and received a car with the excuse "oh it's made in the same way" I wouldn't be too happy so why is this acceptable with tea ? I'm not referring to the odd drinks that call themselves tea that are tea with various flavours - I mean the shameless imposters that are just not and do not contain tea. Is it beyond the ability of humanity to think of a name for these drinks so that we have to fall back on something completely different and pretend ? We don't call mead beer or whisky rum even though they are made in a similar way. Is the world just too lazy ?
Ho Hum - rant over.

My thoughts exactly!

"Tea: The leaves of the tea-plant usually in a dried and prepared state for making the drink; first imported into Europe in the 17th century, and now extensively used in various parts of the world."

Definition courtesy of the Oxford English Dictionary

or, in other words, if it 'asn't got tea leaves in it, it ain't tea :D

@Duck59, @morning glory

The French word, "Tisane " in English is just "infusión" ..

"Tisane de Hierbes" : is Herbal Infusión and in extremely formal Spanish: "Tisana de Infusión de Hierbas" ..

Infusions can be made with fruits, dried fruits and vegetables, barks, stems, roots and herbs or grains, or spices .. etcetra ..

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
@sidevalve,

Yes, tea is prepared from tea leaves for centuries.

An herbal infusión is prepared from leaves and secondary buds / flowers of Herbs.

Infusions are prepared from a wide variety of other agricultural products, for e.g. : Spices, fruits, roots, barks, stems, bulbs, vegetables, grains etcetra ..

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
Thank you all - nice to know I am not a lone voice :thumbsup:

@sidevalve,

No, you are not a lone voice.

I have never heard " tea " being called an infusión in Spain.

At a bar, if we want to order a tea, we ask for " Un té, por favor " or we ask if they have an assortment of teas, for example, Black Tea, White Tea, Red Tea and / or Green Tea or via " The Name of the Type of Tea, for example, Earl Grey ( quite popular here ) ..

If we want an "infusión", we ask for " Un infusión de hierbas, Por Favor " .. etcetra ..

It is like calling a cat, a horse any other way !!!!

Have a nice evening ..

Lol I've gotten mad at the same thing. I keep seeing in stores of boxes saying anise tea, helba tea, hibiscus tea. I'm saying to myself this contains no tea <.< you lie! IMO I think people just want to make it maybe a bit easier when it comes to categories so they just stick it with tea. That's so wrong though it's like calling coffee hot cocoa lol. However I'm not talking negatively either only joking mostly. It doesn't really technically matter it just drives me personally a bit annoyed but that's just me being persnickety lol. It's like when you fine a tiny little dot on your clothes and only you notice and it's no big deal but it just bugs you. It's kinda like that lol.

Last edited:
@pinkcherrychef

There are teas (Earl Grey a black tea, Green Tea, White Tea, Red Tea, English Breakfast, Ceylon etcetra) and there are "herbal infusions" ( Mint, Anise etcetra .. ) and there are "fruit infusions" ( mango, papaya etcetra ).

Also teas can be combined with herbs or flowers or fruits as well .. Earl Grey is a Black Tea but bergamot is not a tea, it is a lemon like citron fruit ..

I have no problem with this mix up or lack of knowledge when I order a tea or buy teas or herbal or fruit infusions ..

Have a nice day ..

Last edited:
@pinkcherrychef

There are teas (Earl Grey a black tea, Green Tea, White Tea, Red Tea, English Breakfast, Ceylon etcetra) and there are "herbal infusions" ( Mint, Anise etcetra .. ) and there are "fruit infusions" ( mango, papaya etcetra ).

Also teas can be combined with herbs or flowers or fruits as well .. Earl Grey is a Black Tea but bergamot is not a tea, it is a lemon like citron fruit ..

I have no problem with this mix up or lack of knowledge when I order a tea or buy teas or herbal or fruit infusions ..

Have a nice day ..
Why not call them "fruit infusions" then?

There's a local one(to me), I'm not certain is actually legal.

@classic33

Earl Grey is a black tea with a bit of bergamot added to it ..

It is not an herbal infusión ..

I am in Italy and do not have my teas or herbal infusions with me to read the label contents ..

However, surely there is a huge difference and a website such ( possibly Wikipedia ) to explain the exact nuances and / or % factors ..

Last edited:
@classic33

Earl Grey is a black tea with a bit of bergamot added to it ..

It is not an herbal infusión ..

I am in Italy and do not have my teas or herbal infusions with me to read the label contents ..

However, surely there is a huge difference and a webiste such ( possibly Wikipedia ) to to explain the exact nuances and / or % factors ..
I was thinking more of on the packing thsn anywhere else, see how well they sell then.

It'd have a few wondering.

Back
Top Bottom