Oeuf en Gelée

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:44 AM
In another thread, eggs in jelly were mentioned - I can't find the link at the moment. A few members thought it sounded horrible - but it is a classic if somewhat old fashioned French dish. As I love eggs I thought I'd try it. This is first attempt. I could do better, I think, but it did taste good. The jelly is flavoured with tarragon (water simmered with fresh tarragon used to make the jelly). The base of the mould has jelly added with a sprig of tarragon and then allowed to set before adding the hard-boiled egg and remainder of the jelly and a few more tarragon leaves.

fullsizeoutput_3f50.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f54.jpeg

Last edited:
Very pretty and posh looking!

The possibilities are endless - smoked salmon - salmon eggs, different herbs or vegetables as well as the egg. My son suggested an egg with a runny yolk but I wasn't sure that would be right with the jelly.

The possibilities are endless - smoked salmon - salmon eggs, different herbs or vegetables as well as the egg. My son suggested an egg with a runny yolk but I wasn't sure that would be right with the jelly.
They most assuredly are. This is something someone posted on the cooking site at my work that I administer. It might look scary, but I'll bet it's tasty.

Yours looks a lot better, by the way. :laugh:

310317.jpg

They most assuredly are. This is something someone posted on the cooking site at my work that I administer. It might look scary, but I'll bet it's tasty.

Yours looks a lot better, by the way. :laugh:

View attachment 21623

I would ask if that was a certain nickname for good ole country boy's equivalent of a crown pork loin roast, but that would be totally politically incorrect. Yes, it is scary looking.

Back
Top Bottom