Okinawan Cuisine

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
8:21 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
As well as being literally one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the pleasure of visiting, Okinawa (the southernmost island of Japan) has one of the longest life expectancies in the world - and a lot of people say that's because of their cuisine!

Beni-imo.jpg

Purple sweet potato is a huge part of the cuisine there...they even have purple sweet potato (beni-imo) ice cream!

2009-04-02a.jpg

Goya is also popular - it's a very unusual looking vegetable.

Apart from that, pork and seaweed are also popular on the island!

If you ever have a chance to go there, please do, as it's stunningly beautiful.

7128_umibudo.jpg
Found this dish I have never heard about in one of their food guides.
"Umibudo
Umibudo literally means "sea grapes" in Japanese, and this type of seaweed does indeed resemble grapes on a miniature scale. Each little umibudo ball has a soft skin that releases a salty liquid when bitten. Umibudo is usually served with little preparation, with only a bit of vinegar or soya sauce."

I have long read of the people of Okinawa living very long lives. There are those who believe it has everything to do with their diet.

The goya vegetable is quite bitter if you do not know how to properly prepare it. I always rinse it well after cutting it into pieces then sweat it using salt. I add scrambled egg when cooking the vegetable to counter the bitterness that was left after rinsing. I also let everything simmer without stirring

We have that purple sweet potato here. We call it UBE and I believe it is called yam in other countries. We cook it with coconut milk and condensed milk plus sugar. When done, it is like a flan that is very rich and creamy. Especially kids, they like it so much. It is also a delicacy that you will find on the Christmas table. I didn't know that yam is a native food in Japan.

upload_2015-8-8_8-56-19.jpeg
That's what yams look like in my country. Is this what you mean Corzhens? It's one of the ground provisions some call 'strong food'.upload_2015-8-8_8-56-19.jpeg I have seen the Goya only once when I went to the market. My mom told me it was imported from Guyana I think.

We have that purple sweet potato here. We call it UBE and I believe it is called yam in other countries. We cook it with coconut milk and condensed milk plus sugar. When done, it is like a flan that is very rich and creamy. Especially kids, they like it so much. It is also a delicacy that you will find on the Christmas table. I didn't know that yam is a native food in Japan.

That sounds delicious Corzhens! If you have a recipe for it I would love to know it!

Back
Top Bottom