Old cast iron wok - question

Nomack

Über Member
Local time
6:54 AM
Hi Folks,

I just registered here. I'll do an "introduction" post, but wanted to get this question out there.

I've always loved cooking with woks and have spent many years searching for the perfect one (I have several). I recently found a cast iron wok in a "junk store" and grabbed it. It's great. It is all black (seasoned I guess they call it), but a bit lumpy and messy. Some of the black layer is "chipping" off (small pieces).

Question is - what would you do? Would you take it back down to the bare metal and start over with seasoning? Or leave it? If the former, how would you do it?

Thanks!

N

Thanks, I'll have a look at that thread.

In the meantime, here are a couple of pics.

20170729_124316.jpg
20170729_124326.jpg
20170729_124405.jpg
20170729_124409.jpg

...It is all black (seasoned I guess they call it), but a bit lumpy and messy. Some of the black layer is "chipping" off (small pieces)...
Hello, Nomack. You were right to call the black layer "seasoning". A well-seasoned cast iron cooking vessel is a thing of beauty. Your wok has...possibilities. Don't think of this as a wok as you refurbish it, think of it as a cast iron pan.

Because of the flakes and rust, you probably want to take it down to bare metal, then season from scratch. There is the hard, elbow grease kind of way: How to Restore a Rusty Cast Iron Skillet or there is the stinky, rubber glove way: How to Restore Vintage Cast Iron Cookware No matter which you chose, you then need to properly season and maintain your wok: How to Clean and Maintain Cast Iron Good luck, and enjoy your "new" cookware.

Thank you all for the replies - especially LG, those links are very helpful.

When I bought it, I was under the impression cast iron woks were not common. I've since discovered you can buy them on amazon for cheap. Oh, well. I have this one and I don't like letting things be wasted, so I will go ahead with the project. Will report back.

Thanks!

n

I've tried 'bare' cast iron, as opposed to enamelled like Le Creuset, a couple of times, without much success; the seasoning never seemed to work for me
However, by all means give it a go if you want

It looks pretty dirty & scruffy, and you don't know its history, so I'd say take it back to bare metal, inside & out, and start again. Then you'll also have the satisfaction of putting your mark on it
It looks like it is thick enough and strong enough to withstand a fairly severe cleaning method. Here are some ideas - paint stripper; a wire brush on a drill; scouring powder; Brillo pads or other steel wool'; oven cleaner; fill it with a strong caustic/sodium hydroxide solution and let it soak. Beware, some of these will give off strong fumes, so work outside
Whatever you use, take the appropriate safety & protection measures - rubber gloves, safety glasses or goggles, an apron or old clothes

Search YouTube for 'cleaning cast iron'; 'cleaning a cast iron skillet' and similar titles. There are several videos about this, though I haven't watched many of them myself.

Last edited:
I had one like that.

Even though it was good, I'd never buy that type again, simply because I can't lift it to toss the food as it cooks. Way too heavy! :headshake:

Last edited:
Must admit if I'd bought it from a junk store I'd probably clean it off and start again anyhow. No telling what it has been used for or why the 'coating' is chipping off - could be just age and lack of use - could be because somebody used it for cleaning paintbrushes in.

I know this thread has been around a while. My 2 cents.

Bring it back to bare metal then season.

http://www.castironcollector.com/electrolysis.php#

If you have a car battery charger electrolysis is a fool proof method to bring your cast iron to bare metal. The site also has directions for using lye.

A well cared for cast iron pot or skillet is virtually non stick. It will last for many generations. The link has a section on cleaning your cast iron.

Well cared for cast iron should be as smooth as a baby's bottom.

With few exceptions I do not use my cast iron for fish, seafood, tomato based dishes or vegetables. I use stainless with a clad copper bottom for those things.

I use my cast iron skillets to make a dark Roux, brown meat or chicken, render bacon and any dish that needs a gravy.

I have a LARGE cast iron Dutch oven that I use for braising meats or poultry. It IS heavy and difficult to handle but worth the effort for braising.

Back
Top Bottom