Recipe Old Fashioned

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
1:02 AM
Colleen and I are big fans of Old Fashioneds. Here is my recipe. I've tweaked it several times. This is what we enjoy the most. You may also add smoke to it if that is your thing.

A couple of key points. I make my own simple syrup. I only use cane sure, prefer it to be unfiltered. There is only one cherry to garnish it with. That is a Luxardo cherry imo.

I also prefer the large, round ice cubes. I like using two different bitters.

1 teaspoon of simple syrup (actually, a little more for colleen and a little less for me)
2-4 dashes of each of both bitters (or just the orange bitters works)
stir, add the ice cube, then 2.5 to 3 ounces of bourbon, twisted orange peel, stir again. Then add two cherries.

As for the bourbon. Use whatever you like. I prefer to use 100 to 115 proof. I think that balances out really well with the sweetness of the drink.

Morning Glory

Colleen and I are big fans of Old Fashioneds. Here is my recipe. I've tweaked it several times. This is what we enjoy the most. You may also add smoke to it if that is your thing.

A couple of key points. I make my own simple syrup. I only use cane sure, prefer it to be unfiltered. There is only one cherry to garnish it with. That is a Luxardo cherry imo.

I also prefer the large, round ice cubes. I like using two different bitters.

1 teaspoon of simple syrup (actually, a little more for colleen and a little less for me)
2-4 dashes of each of both bitters (or just the orange bitters works)
stir, add the ice cube, then 2.5 to 3 ounces of bourbon, twisted orange peel, stir again. Then add two cherries.

As for the bourbon. Use whatever you like. I prefer to use 100 to 115 proof. I think that balances out really well with the sweetness of the drink.

Morning Glory

View attachment 64670

View attachment 64671

View attachment 64672
That's also my favorite cocktail.

I've always had Knob Creek & water, but never the Old Fashioned. Knob Creek is also a bourbon. Amtrak treats it like top shelf, which it is.

Thank you for posting this!

I remember becoming acquainted with the Old Fashioned because it's Don Draper's favorite drink in Mad Men. Since I liked the show, I had to try it.

Old+Fashioned.jpg

• Since I wanted to reproduce it according to what he drank, I made sure to use Rye Whiskey. I couldn't get Old Overholt (at first), so I used Jim Beam, which is surprisingly good. I have since found out that any good bourbon works (Four Roses is a favorite of mine).
  • I also used Angostura Bitters, which seem to be available anywhere.
  • I did use an orange peel, but I never bothered to get the hang of making a twist.
  • I didn't use simple syrup, but I know that would make things easier. Instead, I'd put sugar in the glass, then roll around an ice cube to coat the inside. I also made sure to stir thoroughly, since it's bad form to have undissolved sugar at the bottom of the glass.
  • I used maraschino cherries when I had them, but I never liked them because they're too sweet. I will use a good quality cherry as you've suggested next time.
I have also learned that some interpretations, which include using lemon instead of (or in addition to) orange. Have you tried that? I have, and they're interesting, but I keep going back to the orange.

I've always had Knob Creek & water, but never the Old Fashioned. Knob Creek is also a bourbon. Amtrak treats it like top shelf, which it is.

I like Knob Creek Rye and Knob Creek 120 proof. I drink both neat.

Since I wanted to reproduce it according to what he drank, I made sure to use Rye Whiskey. I couldn't get Old Overholt (at first), so I used Jim Beam, which is surprisingly good. I have since found out that any good bourbon works (Four Roses is a favorite of mine).

The problem with most ryes is that they are too sweet for me. They don't balance well with the sweetness of the drink.

Blah...........We usually go with Wild Turkey 101, Evan Williams 100, or Elijah Craig. When I'm feeling expensive I'll use Wild Turkey Rare Breed which is 115 proof.

I did use an orange peel, but I never bothered to get the hang of making a twist.

I twist the orange peel, then massage the inside rim of the glass with the peel. Then drop it in the glass. Why, because it looks fun lol.

I didn't use simple syrup, but I know that would make things easier. Instead, I'd put sugar in the glass, then roll around an ice cube to coat the inside. I also made sure to stir thoroughly, since it's bad form to have undissolved sugar at the bottom of the glass.

I highly recommend making this change. I used to use granular white sugar. When I finally changed to making simple syrup out of "cane sugar" it was a game changer. It compliments the bourbon more than just adding sweetness to it. You can buy it at any Krogers.

maraschino cherries

My wife prefers these. She likes her drinks sweet forward. I will never use them again in my Old Fashioneds. Luxardo Cherries or bust.

No...........well, not at least in an old fashioned. I have used clementines and blood oranges though.

Back
Top Bottom