Old Foods

I agree 100%. I recently got some mutton myself. But an old one you don't hear about very often anymore is pig brains. When I was a kid every once in a while, when mom and dad were in the mood, we would have pig brains and eggs.
I think people have backed away from eating frog legs.

Frog legs! I always thought that was a peculiarly French thing, Do people eat frogs legs Stateside (I'm assuming you are in America, forgive me if I'm wrong)? If so, is it in restaurants or do they cook them at home?

Frog legs! I always thought that was a peculiarly French thing, Do people eat frogs legs Stateside (I'm assuming you are in America, forgive me if I'm wrong)? If so, is it in restaurants or do they cook them at home?
You're right, I'm in the Deep South and believe me, the people here love frog legs. Well, they used to. I never hear anyone talk a out them anymore.

My mother used to like frogs legs and if she saw them on a restaurant menu, she would order them. I tasted them once and to me they just tasted like watery chicken. Not awful, but nothing I'd go out of my way for. I haven't seen them on a restaurant menu in years.

I used to see things like beef hearts and tongue in our regular supermarkets, but things like that have disappeared from the generic type stores. However, many ethnic markets have started popping up around town. Big ones too, not little mom and pop places, but big chains. A Mexican market just opened up quite close to me, having moved into a closed Albertsons, called Cardenas and I've seen offal there. It's a very nice store and their prices are very reasonable. They don't have the best grade of beef, though, very little marbling.

I've seen some strange (to me) meat items for sale at the International Marketplace. Things like pig uteruses and beef tendons. I once saw a man loading several packages of beef tendons into his cart and I wanted to run up to him and ask him how he cooks them. I didn't, though. Too shy. Heaven knows what one does with a pig uterus. The IM does carry some British sausages in their frozen department and some British biscuits as well. It's all rather pricey due to the rate of exchange.

I don't eat offal, however. The closest I've come was with liver and I hated it. My mother liked it and cooked it for dinner on occasion. When I was a kid, I'd come into the house for dinner and smell the liver and onions and burst into tears. Since I left may parents' house, liver has never passed these lips. My husband likes it but I've told him if he wants some he can cook it himself. I can't stand the feel of it raw whilst taking it out of the package.

"Recent" scares, BSE, Foot & Mouth have all taken their toll on what can be sold over the counter.

Mutton has been eaten in recent years. Often with the killing, skinning & cleaning done on site. From field to table within 24 hours. Relatives who were butchers also helped.

Entire legs of lamb have already disappeared. The cut now ends at the knee.

TB will be the next disease that restricts what will be available. In my opinion.

"Recent" scares, BSE, Foot & Mouth have all taken their toll on what can be sold over the counter.

Mutton has been eaten in recent years. Often with the killing, skinning & cleaning done on site. From field to table within 24 hours. Relatives who were butchers also helped.

Entire legs of lamb have already disappeared. The cut now ends at the knee.

TB will be the next disease that restricts what will be available. In my opinion.
The drug resistant strain just came over here from either Europe or Africa

The drug resistant strain just came over here from either Europe or Africa
Foot & Mouth or TB?
The drug resistant form of BSE has been in the states for a few years now, under a differrent name. And its been on sale for eating.

Foot & Mouth or TB?
The drug resistant form of BSE has been in the states for a few years now, under a differrent name. And its been on sale for eating.
TB
A woman brought it over, and visited 3 different states before she realized something was wrong. They're trying to get a hold of as many as possible of the people she was in contact with.

Back
Top Bottom