Old wives tales and potions

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
12:39 AM
I have a sore patch on my tummy, I think a thorn got in when I was gardening at the weekend. It is in an awkward place so cannot get it out.
My gran always said that for that sort of thing, put soap and sugar onto a plaster to 'draw it out' so that is what I have done so we will see how successful this is.

Does anyone on here use 'old remedies' ?

I have a sore patch on my tummy, I think a thorn got in when I was gardening at the weekend. It is in an awkward place so cannot get it out.
My gran always said that for that sort of thing, put soap and sugar onto a plaster to 'draw it out' so that is what I have done so we will see how successful this is.

Does anyone on here use 'old remedies' ?

I don't, but our mom did! She used to mix cut up onions with sugar to make us feel better if we had a cold. She gave us caster oil & lemon juice if we had a cold.

On the same honey theme, a hot toddy (for cold or flu symptoms). Lemon juice (vitamin c), honey (healing properties), whiskey (good nights sleep and to relax aching limbs) and hot water. I know I've always felt much better the following day if I've had a good nights sleep and sleep aids healing.

Plus there's there age old hot milk before bed to aid sleep. Again another that had been proven to work.

A slight variation though I forget what it was called was hot milk, whiskey and sugar/honey. I distinctly remember one of our lodgers making me one one night after she'd locked herself out and it was very late (she was an actress at a theater). she'd been trying to get my parents' attention without waking us children up.

Mum used to put a poultice of bread dampened and with sugar on wounds to "draw" out the puss. It worked. Vicks vapor rub under a towel bath for chest clearing.

Russ

Apple cider vinegar, honey, and water is good for arthritis and all sorts of things. It's been in use for about 3000 years or so.
A tablespoon of [blackstrap] molasses for anaemia.

Back
Top Bottom