Olives shelf life?

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
1:48 PM
I'm not very keen on olives, but now & again I put some in a salad

Presumably a jar of olives (in brine?) will have a fairly long shelf life, even after opening, but do we know how long loose olives bought from a supermarket's deli counter will last?

I think oil cured would be a very short lived olive, while brined would last quite a bit longer, both being stored in the fridge.

They should last for ages because they are cured. If you think about it, the ones on the deli counter do not get replaced every day, nor are they making them fresh on the premises. I haven't ever had any of the latter go stale although I suppose I haven't tried keeping them for weeks. There is a black type sold in jars as 'greek style' which are oil cured and not in brine and they keep indefinitely. I bought some here at my friend's house (where I'm staying at the moment) months ago and used a few. The jar is still here and the olives are fine.

Here are some from Tescos in a pack which states 2 weeks plus date. These are oil marinated;

Ingredients: Green Olives, Rapeseed Oil, Lemon Flavoured Oil, Salt, Parsley, Concentrated Lemon Juice, Mint, Coriander, Garlic, Lemon Flavoured Oil contains: Sunflower Oil, Lemon Extract

Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 11.37.12.png

I honestly don't know how long they had been in the fridge, though it was a long time, but we had some regular salad olives and some of the bright green olives, name escapes me right now, that we had to throw away recently. Both kinds had turned an off color and just a tiny taste test confirmed they needed to go. Both kinds were commercially brined and canned.

Back
Top Bottom