Recipe Ollieburger

CraigC

Guru
Local time
2:26 PM
Back in the '70s there was a restaurant chain called Lums. The originator of this burger sold them as a Lums menu item. Don't know what happened between the two entities, but the originator opened several of his own places called Ollie's Trolley, with the feature item being the Ollieburger. Both restaurants eventually closed with Lums out lasting Ollie's Trolley. This copy cat version has lots of ingredients and calls for the burgers to be marinated.

The Ollieburger
For 2 lbs of ground chuck
Dry Ingredients
1/4 C Sugar
2 tbsp Paprika
¼ tsp Turmeric
½ tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Ground Coriander
½ tsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp Ground Celery Seed
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Fennel Seed
1 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
2 EA Crushed Beef Bouillon Cubes
Liquid Ingredients
6 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Steak Sauce (A-1)
2 tsp Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Heinz 57 Sauce
2 tsp Cider Vinegar
Bun Sauce Ingredients
¼ cup Miracle Whip
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp orange, French dressing
½ tsp sweet relish
2 tsp dill pickle relish
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried, minced onion
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp ketchup
2 tbsp prepared Ollie Seasoning Marinade
1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
Directions:
1) In a large mixing bowl, add all dry Ingredients together and mix by hand. DO NOT INHALE MIX as the dust is very overwhelming.
2) In a separate bowl, mix liquid ingredients together until well mixed.
3) Carefully add beef to dry ingredients and slowly mix by hand. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4) For bun sauce, mix all ingredients and refrigerate for 2 hours as well.
5) Place a 1/3 pound burger patty in prepared marinade and allow to soak completely covered for 15 minutes.
6) Place on a 2 sided grill (such as a panini press) and cook to desired doneness. I use a cast iron pan or flat top and flip them.
7) Serve with a ½” thick slice of Mozzarella cheese on top of the burger on a seeded bun with bun sauce top and bottom.
Sides are your choice.

That is a LOT of ingredients! The dry and wet are all do-able here except for Heinz 57 sauce and Steak sauce A - 1. The bun sauce is do-able except for Miracle Whip, Ollie seasoning and Montreal Steak seasoning. I will have a go at the burgers in due course... :) I'm sure I can find substitutes.

That is a LOT of ingredients! The dry and wet are all do-able here except for Heinz 57 sauce and Steak sauce A - 1. The bun sauce is do-able except for Miracle Whip, Ollie seasoning and Montreal Steak seasoning. I will have a go at the burgers in due course... :) I'm sure I can find substitutes.
Sorry, the Ollie seasoning is the dry ingredients.

Sorry, the Ollie seasoning is the dry ingredients.

Are you able to edit your posts yet (there is a restriction on new members editing their posts as a safeguard)? It lasts for a certain time/number of posts. Edit button should be at bottom of post in green.

Just as a warning here. If you are a burger purist, this recipe is NOT for you. It really doesn't taste like a hamburger anymore. Craig has always loved them and apparently a lot of other people did too back in the day, but I always got something else. Long before I met Craig, my mom would take us to Lum's for dinner because she liked their chicken meal. I usually got a hot dog or fried shrimp. My and my friend's favorite though was a chocolate shake, french fries and their chocolate eclairs. What can I say but teenage girls...

Back in the '70s there was a restaurant chain called Lums. The originator of this burger sold them as a Lums menu item. Don't know what happened between the two entities, but the originator opened several of his own places called Ollie's Trolley, with the feature item being the Ollieburger. Both restaurants eventually closed with Lums out lasting Ollie's Trolley. This copy cat version has lots of ingredients and calls for the burgers to be marinated.

The Ollieburger
For 2 lbs of ground chuck
Dry Ingredients
1/4 C Sugar
2 tbsp Paprika
¼ tsp Turmeric
½ tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Ground Coriander
½ tsp Cornstarch
1 tbsp Ground Celery Seed
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Fennel Seed
1 tbsp Crushed Red Pepper
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
2 EA Crushed Beef Bouillon Cubes
Liquid Ingredients
6 tbsp Lemon Juice
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Steak Sauce (A-1)
2 tsp Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Heinz 57 Sauce
2 tsp Cider Vinegar
Bun Sauce Ingredients
¼ cup Miracle Whip
¼ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp orange, French dressing
½ tsp sweet relish
2 tsp dill pickle relish
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried, minced onion
1 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp ketchup
2 tbsp prepared Ollie Seasoning Marinade
1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
Directions:
1) In a large mixing bowl, add all dry Ingredients together and mix by hand. DO NOT INHALE MIX as the dust is very overwhelming.
2) In a separate bowl, mix liquid ingredients together until well mixed.
3) Carefully add beef to dry ingredients and slowly mix by hand. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
4) For bun sauce, mix all ingredients and refrigerate for 2 hours as well.
5) Place a 1/3 pound burger patty in prepared marinade and allow to soak completely covered for 15 minutes.
6) Place on a 2 sided grill (such as a panini press) and cook to desired doneness. I use a cast iron pan or flat top and flip them.
7) Serve with a ½” thick slice of Mozzarella cheese on top of the burger on a seeded bun with bun sauce top and bottom.
Sides are your choice.

Hmmm. Looks like a ton of ingredients have to be used!

Back
Top Bottom