On the Griddle (Recipes Request)

Local time
5:56 AM
Hey everyone. I'm a college student living in the dorms and we're not allowed to have open flame cooking items in our rooms. This past year I bought a Presto Griddle and I'm running low on ideas for what to make on it. If you have any recipes that would work I would love to hear them!!

Preferably non-breakfast themed items since that seems to be what I use it for the majority of the time ~ pancakes, grilled cheese, eggs, french toast, bacon, etc. I just haven't been able to come up with good lunch or dinner meals to make on the griddle yet and searching online doesn't bring me many ideas that don't involve breakfast food ideas.

Griddle scones are an option - savoury bread if you leave out the sultanas, as are things like chapatis and naan bread (beleive me it is possible with naan bread, you just don't get the standard colouring).

In Staffordshire, UK we also have something called Oatcakes - not the scots variety which are a hard biscuit, but staffordshire oatcakes made from yeast and oatmeal which is similar in concept to chapatis (which is how they originated) they are often served with all sorts of things such as cheese, cheese & onion, bacon etc... they are easy to make and there are many recipes online.
and then you could also consider crumpets
We also cook sweetcorn (corn on the cob) on a griddle/hot plate because we don't have a grill and we like it 'bbq'ed'. It works surprisingly well, but takes a while and could set off any smoke detectors if they are close by... not an issue we have thankfully.

I also reckon with a little bit of imagination you could probably do an omlette if you were to get hold of a larger cake tin with a removable bottom - putting the ring flat on the gridle would give enough of a seal for the eggs to cook and seal themselves into an omlette shape... onion or fillings are easily sorted.

Egg fried rice, eggy noodles could also be an option.

Could you use a saucepan on top of the gridle? I ask because it is an indirect heat transfer option and would allow you to hard boil eggs, or heat things that need a saucepan such as baked beans and soups? random thought - not great for energy usage but could get around an issue.

Attachments

• Griddle Scones.jpg
    Griddle Scones.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 227
Back
Top Bottom