Review Once a month cooking (cookbook)

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
3:11 AM
I just found once a month cooking. It is a total and complete joke. Sorry but putting bread crumbs in one bag, cheese in another bag, and raw meat in a third bag, then taping the 3 bags together is not cooking.
Another one was freeze the bread in one bag, the cheese in another and the pepperoni in a third bag. Then put the bags together.
Most of the meals were like that. Or let's have spaghetti sauce 5 times in two weeks.
There was only 2 meals that were cooked that day. Everything else was packaged raw to cook later.
That is not once a month cooking. More like once a month prep.
On the French bread pizza, if you are going to have it on Tuesday and Monday was prep day, why bother putting any of that in the freezer. Bread will keep a day, cheese will keep at least a week in the refrigerator and the pepperoni will last more than a month anywhere you want to store it.

Too much stupid stuff. Not much cooking.
Though I did look at the grocery lists. I wouldn't need much to do all the recipes.

I just found once a month cooking. It is a total and complete joke. Sorry but putting bread crumbs in one bag, cheese in another bag, and raw meat in a third bag, then taping the 3 bags together is not cooking.
Another one was freeze the bread in one bag, the cheese in another and the pepperoni in a third bag. Then put the bags together.
Most of the meals were like that. Or let's have spaghetti sauce 5 times in two weeks.
There was only 2 meals that were cooked that day. Everything else was packaged raw to cook later.
On the French bread pizza, if you are going to have it on Tuesday and Monday was prep day, why bother putting any of that in the freezer. Bread will keep a day, cheese will keep at least a week in the refrigerator and the pepperoni will last more than a month anywhere you want to store it.

Though I did look at the grocery lists. I wouldn't need much to do all the recipes.
Is it a TV programme? Sounds a bit sad.

You mentioned spaghetti sauce.

I sometimes do what is called make-ahead cooking, provided that I have enough room in the freezer. That is, I often DOUBLE the batch of sauce so that the next time that I want spaghetti sauce, it is right there in the freezer. In fact, I just did some about a few weeks ago.

Doing some things like that helps save time in the kitchen. :wink:

Why only cook once a month?

Having said that, there are things like a good stock which are worth cooking up ahead and freezing.

Stuff like that is a wise choice, provided that you have enough room in the freezer. I gave up my deep freezer because I had no way of getting it over here.
So I just use the fridge's freezer for frozen food storage. Seems to work out well! :wink:

You mentioned spaghetti sauce.

I sometimes do what is called make-ahead cooking, provided that I have enough room in the freezer. That is, I often DOUBLE the batch of sauce so that the next time that I want spaghetti sauce, it is right there in the freezer. In fact, I just did some about a few weeks ago.

Doing some things like that helps save time in the kitchen. :wink:
Yes, but would you want it every other day pretty much?
Right now as far as make once eat twice, I have 2 or 3 bags of cooked beans, 3 packages of jambalaya, a package of dressing (desperately needs doctored). I tend to make several small meat loaves and freeze them. That is one of those foods that is almost impossible to make for 2. Oh I also have several baked potatoes in the freezer.
Reminds me I need to make some meat loaves while we are having a cold spell.

My complaint was she is advertising once a month cooking but in reality you still have to cook it later.
If I need a quick meal, I don't want to be an hour or so baking it.

Oh and reminds me, I might want to grab some onions, celery and bell peppers if they are on sale to chop and freeze for later.

Last year, we also had enchiladas and baked spaghetti for quick reheatable meals.
Cook once, eat several times. Again the 2 people thing.

Also need to make up bread crumbs.

Yes, but would you want it every other day pretty much?
Right now as far as make once eat twice, I have 2 or 3 bags of cooked beans, 3 packages of jambalaya, a package of dressing (desperately needs doctored). I tend to make several small meat loaves and freeze them. That is one of those foods that is almost impossible to make for 2. Oh I also have several baked potatoes in the freezer.
Reminds me I need to make some meat loaves while we are having a cold spell.

My complaint was she is advertising once a month cooking but in reality you still have to cook it later.
If I need a quick meal, I don't want to be an hour or so baking it.

Oh and reminds me, I might want to grab some onions, celery and bell peppers if they are on sale to chop and freeze for later.

Last year, we also had enchiladas and baked spaghetti for quick reheatable meals.
Cook once, eat several times. Again the 2 people thing.

Also need to make up bread crumbs.

I've eaten spaghetti for 3 days. But I often break up the cycle by eating something else a day in between. Since it is only me, I only boil half a box of spaghetti.
Incidentally, I had some leftover plain spaghetti in a very small container in the freezer. I put some butter, garlic powder oregano, grated parm over it and heated it up in the microwave for a quick scampi.

Tonight was leftover night, so I didn't cook anything new. Tomorrow, since we are being buried in our first big snowstorm of the winter, I will make a belated Mini holiday dinner, since I didn't cook any turkey during any of the holidays. :wink:

Last edited:
I've eaten spaghetti for 3 days. But I often break up the cycle by eating something else a day in between. Since it is only me, I only boil half a box of spaghetti.
Incidentally, I had some leftover plain spaghetti in a very small container in the freezer. I put some butter, garlic powder oregano, grated parm over it and heated it up in the microwave for a quick scampi.

Tonight was leftover night, so I didn't cook anything new. Tomorrow, since we are being buried in our first big snowstorm of the winter, I will make a belated Mini holiday dinner, since I didn't cook any turkey during any of the holidays. :wink:
I cook up about a third of a box for us. Usually I use shell pasta. And just make what we eat in one day.
Oh and if you use canned/jarred spaghetti sauce, it does freeze well.
Though on meats, there are two adults and one 4 year old. (Ok a chihuahua but he eats as much as your average preschooler.)

Do you have a link for this 'once a month' @Cinisajoy ?

Back
Top Bottom