One panino, two panini

Duck59

Guru
Local time
10:26 AM
Website
duckholiday.com
Okay, maybe it's because I studied linguistics, but there are some signs that irritate me immensely. We're all used to the "greengrocer's apostrophe" that has become a way of life, but one that annoys me is seeing shops and cafes that offer "paninis."

Aaaagh! The word panini is already plural. You cannot have "paninis." You can have panino or panini, but not paninis.

Please reassure me that it's not just me. What kind of grammatical or linguistic bilge causes your goat to get angry?

You have my full attention Duck59. When they were introduced around here I am sure some of us had hell pronouncing the word panini.We are Bajans so the foreign names can be confusing especially for those who live on the dialect. I am off to share the news with at least one friend. I won't call in my order the next time. I want to see the face of the cashier when I request a Panino?

Your post made me think of this that I saw online a while ago - with the correct pronunciation of certain food words that people often butcher

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/food-words-you-might-be-pronouncing-wrong#.ewMzN9mzBL

I think my most hated wrong pronunciation is Quinoa because I feel like these days every man and their dog is eating it and pronouncing it incorrectly!
One of the examples on the link refers to Worcestershire sauce stating it should be pronounced wus- tuh-shur. Well, perhaps in some circles.... but most people in the UK say Wooster Sauce with the 'oo' being pronounced like the 'oo' in 'look'. At least, thats been my experience.

Last edited:
One of the examples on the link refers to Worcestershire sauce stating it should be pronounced wus- tuh-shur. Well, perhaps in some circles.... but most people in the UK say Wooster Sauce with the 'oo' being pronounced like the 'oo' in 'look'. At least, thats been my experience.
Thought that's why Bertie Wooster was used in their adverts.

Life's to short!
Or even too short! :roflmao: :okay:

Don't worry. (nothing personal)

The way I remember it is that you are emphasising something so in my mind I make it long to remember the extra 'o'. But I do know both you and I are dyslexic so don't tend to worry too much!

I also use the full stop as a means of ending my thought chain, stopping and thinking. The comma is a pause for a breath and the... is a way of just not finishing my sentence.

As for pronunciation, when I can work out English pronunciation and more to the point spelling, I'll worry about imported words! Mind you, I'm just starting to look at Australian... Chook = chicken.... Ahhhhhhhh this is not going to be easy...

Back
Top Bottom