50 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
6 tomatoes, roughly chopped
4 tsp tomato puree
500 ml light vegetable stock or water
1 can cannellini beans
100 g skinned broad beans
2 tbsp parsley or carrot tops, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
50 g mature Cheddar cheese or hard cheese of choice, grated (optional)
Fresh bread

Method:

1. Partly fry the sausages in 1 tbsp oil for about 10 minutes, until they are nice and brown. Remove from the pan, and cut each sausage into 5 or 6 pieces.
2. Lower the head, add the rest of the oil to the pan and lightly fry the leeks, garlic and mushrooms until the leeks are soft.
3. Add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir well; then simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the stock or the water, return the sausage pieces to the pan. Cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the sausages are cooked through.
5. Add all the beans to the pan and simmer gently for about 10 minutes; then add the parsley or carrot tops, season to taste, and cook for a further couple of minutes.
6. Ladle into bowls, with a sprinkling of cheese if desired, and serve with a chunk of fresh bread.

Notes:

1. Use any raw sausages of choice. I just used ordinary pork sausages.
2. I used water instead of stock. There was still plenty of flavour. The pot is not covered at any point during cooking, and the liquid will become nice and thick.
3. The cheese melted into the liquid, and made it extra tasty.

Last edited:
@Elawin,

A truly nice nice " Mediterranean" bean stew ..

( I would not put cheddar = does not need it ) ..

In my opinión, if you want to put cheese, I would think about Reggiano Parmesano or Pecorino Sardo or Pecorino Romano ..

You have such lovely Mediterranean ingredients here ... Really a dynamic crusty whole meal country bread warm out of oven and a lovely Pinot Noir or Tempranillo or Cabernet Sauvignon just hits the spot !!!

Have a lovely day & good luck with the competition !!

@Elawin
In my opinión, if you want to put cheese, I would think about Reggiano Parmesano or Pecorino Sardo or Pecorino Romano ..... Really a dynamic crusty whole meal country bread warm out of oven.....

Reggiano Parmesano is expensive here, and the smallest blocks the supermarket sell are way too big for me. They don't sell it "loose", and they don't even stock Pecorino Sardo or Pecorino Romano :(. Besides, I happen to like extra mature Cheddar cheese :laugh: But I have modified the recipe slightly.

As far as the bread is concerned, I make all my own bread. The bread I used was crusty, and wholemeal, and very, very fresh :okay:

Great 'rustic' recipe and I love the addition of cheddar cheese! The broad beans are an interesting addition too as the classic French style dishes generally only use white beans. Do you skin the broad beans for appearance or because you don't like the texture?

@Elawin

I understand .. It takes an enormous herd of Cows to produce Reggiano and an huge flock of sheep to produce Pecorino .. Plus of course the export tariffs ..

Broad beans are "fava" beans .. Yes ?

And Garrofón Beans are a White bean, used in Valencian Paellas in the Highlands since Roman times. They are indigenious to this región of Valencia .. These paellas are not prepared with shellfish or seafood ..

I was not sure which bean or legume was broad bean !

Now I know, what broad beans or Fava are .. Always called them Fava ..

Really nice récipe ..

Last edited:
Great 'rustic' recipe and I love the addition of cheddar cheese! The broad beans are an interesting addition too as the classic French style dishes generally only use white beans. Do you skin the broad beans for appearance or because you don't like the texture?
It doesn't bother me whether broad beans are skinned or not, but on this occasion I wanted something to provide a bit more colour - I'm only disappointed that they don't show up very well in the photo (but it was still cooking at the time!).

I'm glad you like the thought of cheddar cheese - the flavour was superb - but I did amend the recipe slightly to say 'or hard cheese of choice' after @Francesca 's post.

@Elawin

Ha Ha Ha !!

I would like to make this dish ..

It has to wait until I return as I will be travelling all of August beginning on the 4th.

I copied down the recipe ..

Thanks .. Have a lovely summer ..

Back
Top Bottom