Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
1:54 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
Onion and Olive Frittata

frittata served 2.jpg

Adapted from Christopher Kimball’s Milk Street, 2017 (September-October, page 10), which in turn comes from Deborah Madison. My changes are in halving the recipe and, well, adding olives. I also substituted in a few minor changes based on what’s in my “Stay at Home” house. The main point in following parts of the recipe, for me, was discovering appropriate timing and overall concentrations of ingredient types.

A frittata at some point gets the eggs pan-fried, which helps differentiate it from a crustless quiche – wherein the eggs are entirely baked.

I didn’t use the salt as requested in the original recipe – salted butter, olives and cheese contain sufficient. I list it here in case you are a salty person…

Serves two.

• 4 large eggs, beaten.
  • Coarse Kosher salt, ground black (or white) pepper
  • 2 tablespoons salted butter, divided into four equal sections.
  • 1 small yellow onion, chopped – approximately half a cup.
  • 1 small garlic clove, finely grated.
  • 12-15 jarred olives, the green ones with the pimentos inside.
  • 1/8 cup sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar, which I used) plus ½ teaspoon.
  • ¼ cup freshly grated cheese, I used a blend of Pecorino Romano and Gruyere. (recipe called for Parmesan or Gruyere).
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh scallions (recipe called for chives but…)
  • 1.5 teaspoons Dijon mustard (recipe called for whole grain).
Preheat oven to 325 F.

Beat the eggs with the (optional, but up to 1/3rd teaspoon salt); and ¼ teaspoon pepper.

Remove the pimentos from the olives, and set aside. Chop the olives coarsely.

To an 8-inch nonstick and oven-proof skillet add half a tablespoon of butter, and melt over medium low heat.

Add the onions, and cook (covered) about five minutes, or until softened and waters are released, stirring occasionally. Remove cover, turn the heat up to medium high, and cook for another ten minutes, stirring, until the onions brown. (I found that for me, 5-6 minutes was sufficient for this procedure.

At this point, stir in the garlic, chopped olives, and the half teaspoon of vinegar. Cook another 30-60 seconds, or until the vinegar has evaporated.

Pour the eggs into the skillet, using a spatula to push the eggs from the edges into the center of the skillet. Incorporate the veggies. When the eggs begin to set (approximately 1 minute), roughly smooth them out, and place the skillet into the pre-heated oven.

Leave the skillet in the oven for 3-5 minutes, to further set the eggs. (Meanwhile, do leave the cooktop burner/hob on.)

Remove the skillet from the oven, and sprinkle the cheese on, evenly. Add the pimentos atop as well. Return to the oven and continue baking for another minute or so, or until the cheeses melt.

Remove the frittata from the oven, and, using a spatula, gently remove this from the non-stick skillet onto your serving platter.

Sprinkle half the chives or scallions over the frittata. (I also sliced up an olive or two for photography décor garnish.)

Slice the frittata into pie-shaped servings, and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom