• 45g gram flour
  • 1/2 tbsp ghee, melted
  • Juice of ¼ lemon
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Hot green chillies (to taste), finely minced
  • Small bunch of coriander, chopped
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced

1. Stir the ghee and lemon juice into to the flour and then add just enough cold water to bring it to the consistency of double cream
  2. Stir in the turmeric, chilies and corriander and add salt to taste
  3. Stir in the onions so they are well coated
  4. You need at least a 5cm depth of oil which should be heated to about 180C
  5. When the oil is up to temperature, carefully drop tablespoon-sized amounts of the mixture into the oil - don't overcrowd the pan
  6. Cook for about four minutes, turning them over a few times, until crisp and golden
  7. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen roll
njLz67Y.jpg

As you can see from my picture, my onions weren't very thinly sliced so my bhajis were more of an open texture than the ball shaped ones you often get. But I like that because you taste more of the onion :laugh:

Also, this is just a basic batter recipe - you could also add other spices if you wanted to. And the same batter can also be used to fritters with other vegetables too.

As you can see from my picture, my onions weren't very thinly sliced so my bhajis were more of an open texture than the ball shaped ones you often get. But I like that because you taste more of the onion :laugh:

I've been waiting for someone to post an onion bhaji recipe! They are such a delicious treat. I like the open texture here - the worst sin a bhaji can commit is to have a soggy centre.

Do you serve them with a dip? I seem to remember I used to order them with raita in Indian restaurants.

Can I use them just like deep fried, crispy onions?
That really depends on what you'd normally use the onions for. Bhajis have a definite Indian flavour, so it really depends if the flavour will work with the rest of the dish.

I've been waiting for someone to post an onion bhaji recipe! They are such a delicious treat. I like the open texture here - the worst sin a bhaji can commit is to have a soggy centre.

Do you serve them with a dip? I seem to remember I used to order them with raita in Indian restaurants.
Yes I much prefer crispy to soggy! I didn't do a dip specifically for the bhajis, but we did have poppadoms with mango chutney and lime pickle at the same time.

I've made them heaps, thought I put a recipe up. ? We have them when I do Indian nights.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom