Recipe Onion rings

missbishi

Veteran
Local time
1:10 PM
It feels slightly wrong to put a recipe for deep-fried onion rings in a vegetable forum!

Anyhow, I love then and tried making my own at the weekend. I couldn't believe how well they turned out and how cheap they were to make so I thought I'd share.

150 g self raising flour
180 ml sparkling water or beer
2-3 good sized onions

Pre-heat fryer to 180 degrees. Whisk together flour and liquid. Slice onions into rings. Dunk in batter and drop in fryer for 3-4 minutes. All done!

I will never be buying the frozen type again.

basically the same batter as i use for but i use a splash of vinegar to keep batter crisp, and i pass the onion through seasoned flour before the batter as it ensures the batter sticks

Onion rings are one of my favorite deep fried snacks and I just had some on Saturday. They are very inexpensive to make and taste great with grilled foods. Just about everything tastes good deep fried, but I really like deep fried veggies because I can justify consuming them since they are veggies!

@Berties great idea, I'll be trying that out next time.
@SatNavSaysStraightOn mmm,onion bhajis! I've never had a fryer before so I'm still discovering all the things I can cook in it.
@Rosyrain I like the thought that my onion rings are a legitimate part of my "5-a-day" : )

Is there a dipping sauce to complement the onion rings?? You're making my mouth water and dinnertime's not for another hour or so!

Do you have to use beer as the liquid? I don't drink beer and would not have any around this does sound good. I like onion rings, don't have them very often, we have purchased the frozen ones and the ones you get at the restaurant.

Is there a dipping sauce to complement the onion rings?? You're making my mouth water and dinnertime's not for another hour or so!

I really never use a dipping sauce with my onion rings as I think they taste wonderful the way they are. I suppose you could use ketchup or BBQ sauce to dip them in if you wanted a dipping sauce.

Do you have to use beer as the liquid? I don't drink beer and would not have any around this does sound good. I like onion rings, don't have them very often, we have purchased the frozen ones and the ones you get at the restaurant.
Cold water is as good a liquid as any,in tempura batter I use soda water,fresh batter to me is a must

Well easy and simple is my second name. I love onions rings and I mostly have them if I travel. I can't say I've ever had any locally although I am sure they must be around here somewhere. As for the frozen ones someone mentioned, I've never seen them. All in all it sounds like a recipe that can't go wrong so I'll try it for sure.

No, you don't need beer at all. Cold water is absolutely fine. The bubbles in the beer produce a lighter batter though so whilst plain tap water is absolutely fine, sparking mineral water would give an even bettre result. But beer certainly isn't necessary.

Back
Top Bottom