Hemulen

Woof-woof
Local time
5:09 PM
Onion Soup
oni_f.png

Serves 6 | Preparation 20 min, cooking 2-2.5 hours

A classic French style onion soup with gratinated cheese on top. I made my own beef stock and clarified it into consommé (recipe) but the stock can be substituted with bouillon cubes.

Ingredients
1600 g (3.53 lb) yellow/brown onions​
50 g (1.76 oz/3 heaped tablespoons/0.44 sticks) butter​
1500 ml (6.34 cups) beef stock or consommé​
500 ml (2.1 cups) dry white wine​
2 teaspoons dried thyme​
4 bay leaves​
1 teaspoon black pepper​
Salt to taste (~3 teaspoons if using unsalted beef stock/consommé)​
A bunch of fresh thyme​
6 pieces of wheat loaf/toast​
200 g Gryère or mature Emmentaler cheese​

Instructions / Onion Soup

Cut the onions into thin rings and stir-fry them on a skillet/frying pan in butter on low-medium heat for 45-90 minutes* (until caramelized; sweet and brown, not charred). Warm up 1500 ml beef stock in a large pan. Add the bay leaves, white wine, dried thyme, caramelized onions, pepper and salt and bring to boil. Let simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes. Grate the cheese. Set the grill/broil resistor or heating element of the oven to 250°C/480°F/gas mark 9, no fan. Toast pieces of bread in a toaster or in the oven. Ration the onion soup into six ovenproof bowls, place a piece of toast on top and finish with a generous sprinkle of cheese. Gratinate in the oven for 2-4 minutes until the cheese has melted and got some color. Garnish with fresh thyme. *Edit

oni_c.png

oni_d.png

Last edited:
Excellent - looks just as it should. Its great you made your own beef consommé. No surprises here. Its a great classic recipe that stands the test of time.

Only comment - I find I can brown the onions a little faster than 60-90 mins. But the slow cooking of them is essential here.

Excellent - looks just as it should. Its great you made your own beef consommé. No surprises here. Its a great classic recipe that stands the test of time.

Only comment - I find I can brown the onions a little faster than 60-90 mins. But the slow cooking of them is essential here.
Yes, a smaller amount of onions caramelize in 20-30 minutes. It was the magnitude (over 1.5 kg) of onions which took nearly one and a half hours to caramelize (big time) in one batch on low-medium heat. I'll edit the recipe to low-medium and 45-90 minutes regarding this issue.

Yes, a smaller amount of onions caramelize in 20-30 minutes. It was the magnitude (over 1.5 kg) of onions which took nearly one and a half hours to caramelize (big time) in one batch on low-medium heat. I'll edit the recipe to low-medium and 45-90 minutes regarding this issue.

I see what you mean - and it does take a long time whatever! I've found that using my new 'granite stone' chef's pan is brilliant for this (and many other things). It is so utterly non-stick.

Back
Top Bottom