Onions (cutting)

mjd

Veteran
Local time
5:47 AM
It only took me 800 years to run across this gem! LOL

onion.jpg

Wow! did you know the reason you ‘cry’ when you chop onions, is that the chemical in the onion is attracted to the nearest source of water (which is usually the eyes). If you place a wet paper towel next to your chopping board, the onion will gravitate towards that, and not your eyes. It really works!!

It only took me 800 years to run across this gem! LOL

View attachment 63224

Wow! did you know the reason you ‘cry’ when you chop onions, is that the chemical in the onion is attracted to the nearest source of water (which is usually the eyes). If you place a wet paper towel next to your chopping board, the onion will gravitate towards that, and not your eyes. It really works!!

I've gotta' try this. I'm skeptical, but why not try.

CD

Reactions: mjd
I know I've read that's at least partially genetic. I'm one of those people for whom cutting onions isn't that big a deal. Every now and then, I'll get the hint of some watering, but mostly, I can plow right through, no problem.

• Wow
Reactions: mjd
Another thing that keeps the tears away is breathing through your mouth.

I like the really strong onions, the kind that make the neighbors' eyes run. I have been satisfied mostly with the red ones.

T

I know I've read that's at least partially genetic. I'm one of those people for whom cutting onions isn't that big a deal. Every now and then, I'll get the hint of some watering, but mostly, I can plow right through, no problem.
So, when are you coming to Chicago to cut all my onions? I think I got your dose. ;-)

Another thing that keeps the tears away is breathing through your mouth.

I like the really strong onions, the kind that make the neighbors' eyes run. I have been satisfied mostly with the red ones.

T
Cool beans! I'm gonna try that. I have asthma. My doctor told me "Breathing is kinda important.". LOL

I usually wear gloves when I'm prepping food. Before that, though, I heard if you rub your fingers on a knife you can get rid of onion and garlic smell. It never worked for me but I know people that said it worked. My father can't wear silver (like a wrist watch) because it won't work. It's the same for me. I am very allergic to colloidal silver. I wonder if that has something to do with the knife (metal) thing.

I heard if you rub your fingers on a knife you can get rid of onion and garlic smell.
That's also a good way to get rid of your fingers! :laugh:

ATK had a good tip about that, can't remember what it was, but lemon sort of works. I'm of the mind that onion/garlic smell fragrance on the fingers is a bonus!

That's also a good way to get rid of your fingers! :laugh:

ATK had a good tip about that, can't remember what it was, but lemon sort of works. I'm of the mind that onion/garlic smell fragrance on the fingers is a bonus!
You are so silly! My last caregiver was a handful (I don't know why I endured her so long). She came running to me because she cut her finger and thumb while washing my cleaver. Should I really have to tell a 30-something year old not to grab a knife by the sharp side? <eyeroll>

Yes, the fragrance is lovely. What about when you are hosting a party though? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom