Oops maybe gluten isn't the culprit.

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
6:45 PM
The number of gluten free products on the market is astounding these days. The number of people claiming to have issues with gluten is equally amazing. For those of you eating gluten free or considering it, I attach this link for you to consider.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/doctor-started-gluten-free-fad-wrong-23840150

While there are still people with wheat allergies and some with other sensitivities, something like this does make one think. We have blamed gluten for far too much. We jumped on the gluten free bandwagon not because we have issues with it but because we fell for the hype. Those who have gone gluten free are probably eating healthier in general and seeing benefits but it might not be the lack of gluten that is providing them.

Except for the advantage that wider availability of gluten-free foods allows those with Celiac's, I'd say that it's another fad diet. There's another lecture on the University of California's YouTube channel that dietary fats is not the cause of hypertension and cardiac illness, but high fructose corn syrup, and suddenly high fructose corn syrup is a bad thing but the research hasn't caught up in terms of gluten-free for the general populace.

A lot of the problem i feel is lack of a mixed diet coupled with too little exercise. We're not built to sit most of the day and eat carbs/fat/sugar/soda. I am coeliac but i choose to eat like a rainbow (lots of mixed fruit and veg). I've brought my son up the same and he just couldn't eat any other way. I certainly wasn't brought up like that.

A lot of it comes down to how your body digests the food, so what you put in makes all the difference. If i ate gluten free cake, biscuits, bread etc as much as some do i would still be feeling ill and putting on weight. It's takes wayyy more salad to put on weight haha

Gluten is one of the culprits. There are several others as well......sugar, carbs, salt, GMO vegetalbes, and GMO laced meat. Gluten that we know today is a type of GMO. Gluten was never geneticly altered with genetic techniques. Instead they introduced wheat to a chemical that changed its genetic sequence. Which isn't natural. So we are eating a unnatural product that was altered by the hand of man.

I know I have a gluten sensitivity. Every time I ate whole wheat bread from the store, which has added gluten for texture, I had gas by the end of the meal and it is very uncomfortable. When I went off gluten entirely I noticed within a couple of weeks I no longer had what I had always thought was a normal amount of gas. For most of my life I had had a little bit on a daily basis, but since it didn't hurt I didn't think of it as a problem, but now I don't have it anymore, so I definitely think there is something to it. If it isn't gluten itself, it is something else in the wheat that bothers my guts. I also avoid all added sugars most of the time. Honey is my only approved sweetener, and that in moderation.

I stayed with a friend who has Crohn's and so all our meals were gluten free, her cupboard was full of gluten free products, however she still was in pain. It wasn't what she was eating, but how she was eating too. She skipped breakfast and then would binge and then to lose weight wouldn't eat dinner, she ended up in hospital.

Now she had lost weight and is healthier, not only because of her diet, but her eating habits with some exercise. Changing her diet alone didn't help, but it was all the factors together that made a difference. Eating at the right times and allowing the food to digest is important, as gluten free food can be heavy and tasteless, it's important to balance the meal and not to over season too.

The number of gluten free products on the market is astounding these days. The number of people claiming to have issues with gluten is equally amazing. For those of you eating gluten free or considering it, I attach this link for you to consider.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/doctor-started-gluten-free-fad-wrong-23840150

While there are still people with wheat allergies and some with other sensitivities, something like this does make one think. We have blamed gluten for far too much. We jumped on the gluten free bandwagon not because we have issues with it but because we fell for the hype. Those who have gone gluten free are probably eating healthier in general and seeing benefits but it might not be the lack of gluten that is providing them.
Be carful with the gluten free products. Most of them are just as bad as the gluten ones. I'm not going to replace gluten with corn. Make sure your bowls move from eating gluten free-products. I'll take the gluten from spelt, rye, and wheat (not much wheat for other reasons) because I get fiber with that gluten. Fiber is very important.

i recently discovered a vegan resto near my place, and found that they have many gluten products. i have heard some bad rap on gluten, so i want to read up on this and pick up some pointers. tho this thread will be helpful.

I could never try to guess if I had a illness that would effect my life like a gluten allergy ,I would get a doctor to refer me,to then find out to what degree my allergy would change my eating habits,I was diagnosed with ulcerated colitis and over came it but the effects can be suprising

As stated the body needs excerise, we have become to sedentary in our lives. Excerise helps the body use the food supplied for fuel and support of the body.

Some research suggest that being gluten free may not be as important for fat loss as previously thought. However there are other symptoms that we should be concerned about such as brain fog, bloating and digestive problems and inflammation of the brain,

I can definitely understand gluten might not be the problem, but sometimes it is. The issue is when you have a sensitivity to something in food it can be very hard to figure out exactly what it is as many ingredients are all put together in one product and sometimes it might not even be an intolerance or sensitivity at all. I think for some people it is more obvious than others.

As stated the body needs excerise, we have become to sedentary in our lives. Excerise helps the body use the food supplied for fuel and support of the body.
+1 for that. One of the reasons why I suspect that there were fewer so called allergies / dietary problems in the past was not mainly because we simply couldn't identify them [which was true in a FEW case] but because we actually did things and burnt the calories [and everything else] off before it could do any harm. Going to the gym once a week or so really isn't much of a substitute - it just gives an excuse to say 'Oh I should be fit I work out'
Now we have 'professors' telling us what is good for us and what we should eat and what is wrong with us so of course we are sick. The only problem is they change their minds more often than most people change their socks. IMHO eat a balanced diet and exercise [nothing crazy just DO things] everyday - forget the car, forget the lift [even getting up and switching the TV on with your finger is a start] and I suspect a lot of there strange maladys would simply melt away..

I'm torn about the gluten fad. I have a wheat allergy so it does make it easier to find products in stores for me to eat, but at the same time I ca't eat out anymore because noone understands that allergic is not the same as "I'm on a fad diet" so I often get "spiked" with problem foods.
Also the number of people who think I don't eat gluten to lose weight is insane and rather frustrating.

but at the same time I ca't eat out anymore because noone understands that allergic is not the same as "I'm on a fad diet" so I often get "spiked" with problem foods.
Here in the UK, simply telling them that I am allergic as in anaphylactic shock will have them pulling out the ingredients list and checking everything. Have you tried that approach? I find it works wonders :D

Back
Top Bottom