Recipe Open Raviolo with Mushrooms (Raviolo Aperto con Funghi)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:52 PM
Sadly, Antonio Carluccio died unexpectedly at the end of 2017. He was a great character with an absolute passion for Italian food and Italian produce. One of my very favourite cooking shows is Two Greedy Italians. Its very amusing, thoughtful and at times, moving. Worth watching of you get the chance.

This recipe is a well balanced rather delicate pasta dish, with subtle flavours. It made a delightful light lunch. The mixture of fresh a dried mushrooms worked well. But - I have to confess I made one big error. I realised this when I started typing out the ingredients list - I forgot to add the milk! This would account for why I was puzzled to find there was very little sauce! An evaluation follows below.

Recipe Source: Antonio Carluccio's Italian Feasts

fullsizeoutput_4eb3.jpeg

Ingredients
10g dried porcini
Freshly made pasta using:
100g strong white flour
1 egg
65g butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
300g mixed wild mushrooms
1 tbsp finely chopped flat leaved parsley
25g ground almonds
6 tbsp milk
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper.

Method
  1. Soak dried porcini in 150 ml water for 15 mins, then squeeze dry, reserving soaking liquor.
  2. Roll 8 flat sheets of pasta measuring 15 x 15 (6 x6in).
  3. Melt butter in a pan and fry the onion gently until soft, without colouring.
  4. Add the fresh mushrooms and soaked porcini yo the pan , stirring and fry for 2 mins.
  5. Stir in the soaking liquor, parsley, ground almonds, milk, salt and pepper.
  6. Simmer pasta in salted water until al dente.
  7. Drain and pat dry with kitchen paper. Place individual sheets on 4 warmed plates, spoon the mushrooms and their sauce on top on top (reserving a little for the final garnish.
  8. Cover with the remaining pasta sheets, folding the corner back, as if to prepare a bed for the night.
  9. Add a little of the sauce and serve.
Evaluation:
  • I halved the recipe as I was cooking for two. The main issues I had were:
  • I found I had to add water to the pasta dough to make it pliable enough to knead and roll. Maybe the egg I used was too small?
  • I was rolling pasta by hand and found that due to ragged edges I struggled to make enough pasta sheets from the quantity of pasta dough. I ended up making slightly smaller sheets.
  • The ground almonds made the sauce ‘granular’. I’ve not used ground almonds to thicken sauces before. Normally, for a recipe like this I’d use cornflour. I wonder if the ground almonds found in Italy are much finer?
  • I didn’t think there were enough fresh mushrooms to fill the pasta sheets. This is despite the fact I ended up using 300g fresh mushrooms for 2 portions which is more than listed. Perhaps the type of mushrooms I used shrank more than some would do?
Anyway - I guess the question is - would I make it again? Well yes I would, but I’d use more mushrooms, not forget the milk (!) and use cornflour to thicken the sauce. I’d probably also add some brandy when I cooked the mushrooms.

fullsizeoutput_4ec5.jpeg

Last edited:
First of all, this is a beautiful recipe. I've made sheets of pasta that (other than cutting into thin pasta) turned into lasagna or ravioli, but never like this. I will have to try it some day.

I found I had to add water to the pasta dough to make it pliable enough to knead and roll. Maybe the egg I used was too small?
Next time, try adding whisking another egg, and streaming some in a little at a time until it's more pliable. Theoretically, you shouldn't need to add any water to the dough. My standard pasta recipe uses the following proportions:

2 1/2 cups (312g) "00" flour
4 eggs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

I add the salt to the dough so I don't have to salt the water; I realize that most don't do this. But, you see what the proportion of flour to egg is: it's 1 egg per 78g of flour. This proportion has never failed me. :)

Another lesser factor is that there is a difference between standard white flour and "00" flour. I made my first few batches of dough using all purpose flour, and it was good. But, when I finally tried "00" flour - which has an extra fine grind to it - my eyes were opened to how silky smooth pasta dough can truly be. It comes together more easily, and is really soft to the touch compared to dough made with standard white flour.

The ground almonds made the sauce ‘granular’. I’ve not used ground almonds to thicken sauces before. Normally, for a recipe like this I’d use cornflour. I wonder if the ground almonds found in Italy are much finer?
I'm guessing you bought the almonds already ground? I think the kind you buy at a shop is more intended as a garnish or a mix-in ingredient for cookies and cakes and such. If you have a spice grinder (or, in my case, an underutilized coffee grinder), throw them in and pulse until they're a fine powder.

not forget the milk (!) and use cornflour to thicken the sauce.
I think, if you had remembered the milk, that would have provided the thickening you were seeking without having to also add cornflour. I'm assuming it would be heated a bit after stirring it in, but the Method doesn't state that.

I like cornflour/cornstarch on occasion, but usually only in Asian dishes where I want that particular consistency. Maybe it's just psychological for me, but I find myself thinking about the cornflour if I add it to non-Asian dishes, and I overthink my impression of the consistency.

I didn’t think there were enough fresh mushrooms to fill the pasta sheets.
In my opinion, there can never be too many mushrooms in a dish. :) And, I do like the idea of adding brandy or sherry to the cook.

1 egg per 78g of flour. This proportion has never failed me. :)

Well - a little more egg per grams of pasta than the recipe. But I'm sure it must depend a bit on the size of eggs. I'll try what you suggest next time.

I'm guessing you bought the almonds already ground? I think the kind you buy at a shop is more intended as a garnish or a mix-in ingredient for cookies and cakes and such. If you have a spice grinder (or, in my case, an underutilized coffee grinder), throw them in and pulse until they're a fine powder.

I think you are spot on here - I should have ground the almonds.

But, when I finally tried "00" flour - which has an extra fine grind to it - my eyes were opened to how silky smooth pasta dough can truly be. It comes together more easily, and is really soft to the touch compared to dough made with standard white flour.

I did use 00 rather than the strong white flour in the recipe (strong white is different from American 'all purpose' flour). I was very happy with the 'silkiness'.

You always make pasta with eggs? In the past I've just used water. Most ready bought pastas only use water, in fact.

You always make pasta with eggs? In the past I've just used water. Most ready bought pastas only use water, in fact.
Serious Eats (my favorite site...after this one, of course) did a phenomenal study of different pasta-making techniques. You're right about pasta in a box being made from only flour and water, with no egg. I learned to make pasta with egg in it, and I've liked the results, so I haven't tried to experiment with different methods. One thing I am keen to try, though, is pasta made with just yolks and flour. This will require a lot of eggs!

Last edited:
Serious Eats (my favorite site...after this one, of course) did a phenomenal study of different pasta-making techniques. You're right about pasta in a box being made from only flour and water, with no egg. I learned to make pasta with egg in it, and I've liked the results, so I haven't tried to experiment with different methods. One thing I am keen to try, though, is pasta made with just yolks and flour. This will require a lot of eggs!

I'm making pasta sometime soon, I've never made it from scratch. Can you give me a fail safe recipe please. I'll be making ravioli.
Cheers

Russ

I'm making pasta sometime soon, I've never made it from scratch. Can you give me a fail safe recipe please. I'll be making ravioli.
Cheers

Russ

Ravioli is a bold step if you never made pasta. Maybe you should practice making pasta dough first for a simple tagliatelle? Cook it and see how it works before making the ravioli. The good thing is that its simple and cheap ingredients so you can afford to fail!

Do you have a pasta machine?

Ravioli is a bold step if you never made pasta. Maybe you should practice making pasta dough first for a simple tagliatelle? Cook it and see how it works before making the ravioli. The good thing is that its simple and cheap ingredients so you can afford to fail!

Do you have a pasta machine?

I'm pretty confident on making it, after all. How hard can it be? Lol. And yes I have a maker.

Russ

I'm pretty confident on making it, after all. How hard can it be? Lol. And yes I have a maker.

Russ

Its easy to mix the dough. The pasta machine means you don't have to knead it because passing it between the rollers lots of times does it for you. But I strongly suggest a practice run! I got myself in a terrible mess the first time I tried!

Its easy to mix the dough. The pasta machine means you don't have to knead it because passing it between the rollers lots of times does it for you. But I strongly suggest a practice run! I got myself in a terrible mess the first time I tried!

I back myself, I'm making it.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom