Recipe Orange Chicken

AgileMJOLNIR

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
2:23 AM
Chinese American style Orange Chicken, a favorite of mine that I’ve been making for years. Never been a fan of overly sweet versions that essentially candy the meat, something too common here. This has a fresh Orange juice tang to it that I enjoy which honors the true star of the show……Orange! Citrus and Chicken were made for one another:wink:

86975CF4-9620-4D3B-9511-E65D4496EFE4.jpeg

Recipe courtesy of Serious Eats

Ingredients​

For the Marinade:
  • 1 large egg white
  • 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine (see notes)
  • 2 tablespoons 80-proof vodka
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch chunks (see notes)
For the Dry Coating:
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Sauce:
  • 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine (see notes)
  • 2 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar or distilled white vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
  • 4 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon roasted sesame seed oil
  • 2 teaspoons grated zest and 1/4 cup juice from 1 orange
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 4 (2-inch) strips dried orange peel (see notes)
  • 2 teaspoons peanut, vegetable, or canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (about one 1-inch piece)
  • 2 teaspoons thinly sliced scallion bottoms (about 1 scallion)
To Finish:
  • 2 quarts of peanut, canola, or vegetable oil for deep frying
  • Steamed white rice and steamed broccoli for serving

Method​

1. For the Marinade: Beat egg white in a large bowl until broken down and lightly foamy. Add soy sauce, wine, and vodka and whisk to combine. Set aside half of marinade in a small bowl. Add baking soda and cornstarch to the large bowl and whisk to combine. Add chicken to large bowl and turn with fingers to coat thoroughly. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
  2. For the Dry Coat: Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Whisk until homogenous. Add reserved marinade and whisk until mixture has coarse, mealy clumps. Set aside.
  3. For the Sauce: Combine soy sauce, wine, vinegar, chicken stock, sugar, sesame seed oil, orange zest and juice, and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir with a fork until cornstarch is dissolved and no lumps remain. Add dried orange peel. Set aside.
  4. Combine oil, garlic, ginger, and minced scallions in a large skillet and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are aromatic and soft, but not browned, about 3 minutes. Stir sauce mixture and add to skillet, making sure to scrape up any sugar or starch that has sunk to the bottom. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Transfer sauce to a bowl to stop cooking, but don't wipe out skillet.
  5. To Finish: Heat 1 1/2 quarts peanut, vegetable, or canola oil in a large wok or Dutch oven to 350°F (177°C) and adjust flame to maintain temperature.
  6. Working one piece at a time, transfer chicken from marinade to dry coat mixture, tossing in between each addition to coat chicken. When all chicken is added to dry coat, toss with hands, pressing dry mixture onto chicken so it adheres, and making sure that every piece is coated thoroughly.
  7. Lift chicken one piece at a time, shake off excess coating, and carefully lower into hot oil (do not drop it). Once all chicken is added, cook, agitating with long chopsticks or a metal spider, and adjusting flame to maintain a temperature of 325 to 375°F (163-190°), until chicken is cooked through and very crispy, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a paper towel-lined bowl to drain.
  8. Add chicken to empty skillet and return sauce to skillet. Toss chicken, folding it with a rubber spatula until all pieces are thoroughly coated. Serve immediately with white rice.

Last edited:
Fixed - Posted this at nearly 2am my time and got pretty tired. Told myself I’d add the recipe when I woke up lol. Added now😁

Added Recipe prefix to title. I often forget to do that myself.

Sounds like a great recipe to me. All I need is someone to make it for me (as many will know, I'm recovering from broken leg).

A lot of people LOVE Panda Express orange chicken. It seems especially true in California. It is almost a cult following. To me, its okay, but still fast food.

CD

A lot of people LOVE Panda Express orange chicken. It seems especially true in California. It is almost a cult following. To me, its okay, but still fast food.

CD
Yeah Panda is ok but I never really understood it, it’s just fast food though they do have healthier dishes compared to most other chains of this caliber. I remember Panda initially getting popular because you could only find them in select shopping malls here in the Bay Area. Late 90’s they moved out of that atmosphere and started doing these standalone shops.

Here in the Bay Area you only go to Panda because it’s cheap. Otherwise there are some top notch Chinese food establishments here that Panda can’t touch, both Americanized and not.

I don’t eat a lot of Chinese-American takeaway, but one of those that I do eat is orange chicken, so I’ll be trying this out at home.

Back
Top Bottom