Recipe Orange Loaf

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:31 AM
I make this to go with our Rusty Pelican salad meal.

It's got a texture kind of like a pound cake and is a bit sweet. It would also make a good tea cake or breakfast bread. The original recipe called for 1 cup of sugar for the loaf, but I cut that down because it was just way too sweet. Be careful and watch it toward end of cooking time because it easily overbakes/burns. I use a big naval orange for the loaf.

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 Tbsp grated orange zest, make sure not to get any white pith
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Glaze (optional)
1/2 cup orange juice
Remainder of zest from orange
1/4 cup white sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in zest and fresh orange juice. Add flour mixture, and stir until moistened. Turn into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour, or until done. Check the loaf at 45 minutes and don't overbake. It will overbake and burn really fast due to all the sugar. Remove loaf from oven.

If you are not going to glaze, let bread cool for 10 minutes or so, run a knife around the edges, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. If you are going to glaze, proceed with next paragraph before cooling.

Glaze: Mix glaze ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve sugar. Poke some holes in the loaf with a toothpick, then spoon glaze over hot loaf. Let cool. Serve directly from pan.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom