Recipe Orange upside down cake

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:12 PM
20230204_173804.jpg

One 9-inch round cake pan

1 pound small navel oranges, blood oranges, Cara Cara oranges, or a combination (2 to 3 oranges)
10 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted, divided
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 tsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp plus 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp orange extract, can substitute vanilla

Glaze

2 Tbsp orange juice
2 Tbsp orange liqueur
1/8 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp orange zest

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Prepare the pan by cutting a piece of parchment to line the bottom. Spray the entire pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place the parchment into the pan and then spray the parchment with the cooking spray.

Melt 4 Tbsp butter and pour into the pan. In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup sugar, 1/8 tsp salt and the cornstarch together. Sprinkle evenly over the butter in the pan. Set aside.

Wash and dry the oranges, then zest with a microplane until you have 2-1/2 tsp. Set aside. Carefully peel the oranges with your fingers and a sharp paring knife, taking off as much pith as possible, but trying not to break the outer membrane. Slice the oranges with a sharp knife in 1/4 inch thick slices. Fit the oranges into the pan, filling in as much space as possible, but keeping a flat layer. You may have slices left. Set aside.

In the bowl used above, mix the flour, baking powder and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.

Melt remaining 6 Tbsp butter, I let it brown a little to give a deeper, richer flavor, but you don't have to do that. In a large bowl, whisk the 2 eggs, sour cream, 2 tsp orange zest, extract and remaining 1 cup of sugar until smooth and well mixed. Whisk in butter. Add flour mixture and gently fold until blended. Pour batter over the top of the orange slices, smooth top. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until cake tester comes out clean.

Let cake cool on wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the edge. Place the serving dish on top of the cake pan, invert and remove parchment. Allow cake to cool for 1 hour.

Mix the glaze ingredients in a small pan and heat over medium high heat, stirring almost constantly, until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes, then brush over top of cake. Serve.

Last edited:
Is that your own creation? Beautiful 😍

Original came from either ATK or Cook's Country. I made a few changes, used orange instead of vanilla extract to have more of an orange flavor, browned the butter lightly that went into the cake batter, and came up with my own glaze as they used orange marmalade.

We both really liked it. I was surprised that Craig liked it as he is not all that fond of sweet orange flavored things. He made a comment he would never eat pineapple upside down cake because he didn't like the taste. Told him i was the same way. Whenever I was served that, i would eat the pineapple and the cherries, and just mess up the cake so it looked like i ate some to be polite.

It's not a super sweet tasting dessert, but is quite satisfying. It's also a single layer so there's not a whole lot of it.

Last edited:
Just to add, i may try this with apples or peaches, using half or all light brown sugar for the fruit layer in the future. The cake batter recipe would be good with either fruit.

Whenever I was served that, i would eat the pineapple and the cherries, and just mess up the cake so it looked like i ate some to be polite.

It's not a super sweet tasting dessert, but is quite satisfying. It's also a single layer so there's not a whole lot of it.
I love pineapple upside down cake but I hate the cherries lol. I love oranges, I think your cake would be delicious!

Back
Top Bottom