Recipe Orange & white chocolate iced brownies

Windigo

Kitchen witch
Local time
9:48 AM
Website
www.instagram.com
I will admit I use Nigella Lawson's recipe for brownies here, but I tweaked it to my own preferences so it's not a complete copy. She does not add the orange zest, nor the white chocolate icing or chips.

20230403_062050.jpg

Ingredients for at least 24 slices:
  • 375 grams soft unsalted butter
  • 375 grams best-quality dark chocolate
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 500 grams caster sugar
  • 225 grams plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 100 g white chocolate chips for the filling
  • 150 g white chocolate chips for the frosting
  • Optional sprinkles
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/gas mark 4. Line your brownie pan — with foil, parchment or Bake-O-Glide.
  2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large heavy-based pan. In a bowl or large wide-mouthed measuring jug, beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla. Measure the flour into another bowl and add the salt and orange zest.
  3. When the chocolate mixture has melted, let it cool a bit before beating in the eggs and sugar, and then the chocolate chips and flour mix. Beat to combine smoothly and then scrape out of the saucepan into the lined pan.
  4. Bake for about 25 minutes. When it's ready, the top should be dried to a paler brown speckle, but the middle still dark and dense and gooey. And even with such a big batch you do need to keep alert, keep checking: the difference between gungy brownies and dry brownies is only a few minutes; remember that they will continue to cook as they cool. Let cool for at least two hours.
  5. Melt the 150 g white chocolate chips in the microwave, then spread evenly over the cooled brownies, then if you desire add the sprinkles. Cover the tin with foil and let set the entire night.
  6. Cut into squares and serve.

I will admit I use Nigella Lawson's recipe for brownies here, but I tweaked it to my own preferences so it's not a complete copy. She does not add the orange zest, nor the white chocolate icing or chips.

View attachment 98259
Ingredients for at least 24 slices:
  • 375 grams soft unsalted butter
  • 375 grams best-quality dark chocolate
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 500 grams caster sugar
  • 225 grams plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 100 g white chocolate chips for the filling
  • 150 g white chocolate chips for the frosting
  • Optional sprinkles
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/gas mark 4. Line your brownie pan — with foil, parchment or Bake-O-Glide.
  2. Melt the butter and chocolate together in a large heavy-based pan. In a bowl or large wide-mouthed measuring jug, beat the eggs with the sugar and vanilla. Measure the flour into another bowl and add the salt and orange zest.
  3. When the chocolate mixture has melted, let it cool a bit before beating in the eggs and sugar, and then the chocolate chips and flour mix. Beat to combine smoothly and then scrape out of the saucepan into the lined pan.
  4. Bake for about 25 minutes. When it's ready, the top should be dried to a paler brown speckle, but the middle still dark and dense and gooey. And even with such a big batch you do need to keep alert, keep checking: the difference between gungy brownies and dry brownies is only a few minutes; remember that they will continue to cook as they cool. Let cool for at least two hours.
  5. Melt the 150 g white chocolate chips in the microwave, then spread evenly over the cooled brownies, then if you desire add the sprinkles. Cover the tin with foil and let set the entire night.
  6. Cut into squares and serve.
That’s got proper ‘I’m a big kid’ joy in it 👍😂

Yes they could 🥳 and a brownie that doesn't make you happy isn't a good brownie
I live nearish to a pier and they have an icecream parlour at the start (before you go down the pier). Every now and then a coach load of people so crumbly they can barely walk (some of them can’t) are brought down on what must be and old folks home outing.

Honest to god the joy, even excitement on their faces at being on the pier eating an icecream is priceless. Childhood joys revisited I presume and totally heartwarming to see.

Back
Top Bottom