Oranges or tangerines?

Local time
10:16 AM
Which do you prefer, oranges or tangerines? These 2 fruits seem to be part of the same family. However, there is some difference between them. I tend to buy oranges a lot more often than tangerines, but would buy tangerines on occasion, especially if there are no oranges in the store. I tend to favour oranges over tangerines as I find them to be nicer. Also, in my country, tangerines sell at a higher price than oranges, so I can buy more oranges for less money, which would also last me a longer time.

What is your preference when it comes to these 2 fruits?

Which do you prefer, oranges or tangerines? These 2 fruits seem to be part of the same family. However, there is some difference between them. I tend to buy oranges a lot more often than tangerines, but would buy tangerines on occasion, especially if there are no oranges in the store. I tend to favour oranges over tangerines as I find them to be nicer. Also, in my country, tangerines sell at a higher price than oranges, so I can buy more oranges for less money, which would also last me a longer time.

What is your preference when it comes to these 2 fruits?
I like tangerines because they are easier to peel. I actually rarely buy oranges. My mother used to buy a lot of them. I grew up on them. I tend to buy both tangerines and oranges when they will go onsale during the holidays. this is when I am most likely to purchase both of these items.

I like satsuma so as they are easy to peel,oranges are best is you just want segments no piff ,and tangerines are best for flavour,for me

Oranges simply because they remind me of my time in Greece one Christmas when we had them fresh off the trees, but then we did with satsumas as well and they were simply amazing.

IMG_3793_1024.JPG

This was my husband's thank you from an old lady after he saw her sweeping up some sand/grit that had been washed down the street after some storms, so he went out with a dustpan after she had swept it into a pile and removed it for her. Latter that evening she handed him this large bag of oranges she had picked off her tree for us. If you look carefully in places, you can see the stem and leaves still attached to a couple of them. Ironically we were due to leave a few days later on bicycles and needed to eat rather a lot of these before we could leave, carrying the rest of them with us!

Tangerines I have not found to have great flavour in the UK and never tried them in Greece, so don't really like them as much. Clementines are also the same, not tried in their native country at the correct time of year, and in the UK are often watery and lacking well lacking everything including flavour!

I should also add that one of the reasons I go for oranges over tangerines is the fact that tangerines are always full of seeds. While oranges would have a few seeds here and there, each fig of the tangerine is always packed with seeds making them harder to eat. I have never eaten a tangerine that had only a few seeds in it. However, I would sometimes come across an orange with just 1 or 2 seeds.

When I was young, I preferred tangerine simply because it is cheap so that's what my mother buys. We used to call oranges as sunkist, not knowing that sunkist is actually a brand of oranges. My impression is that oranges are imported (from the US in particular) and tangerines are locally grown hence it is cheaper. But when I had my own family, I didn't notice that we had a paradigm shift so now it is orange over tangerine. Although I seldom buy fresh oranges, our juices are always orange.

I prefer tangerines or clementines. I rarely buy oranges.

Ever since I was a child I grew up eating oranges and tangerines we rarely eat at home. That is why up to now oranges is always part of my grocery list.

I am not really sure what I am eating. I buy all kinds of citrus fruit I can see in the market. There are oranges, lemons, clementines, even the smallest varieties from Chinese stores. I love them all but I usually favor the oranges because of some nostalgic reasons from childhood. When I smell oranges I get reminded of mom and dad bringing them as presents.

I suspect that most of the orange fruits we see these days are hybrids. There are masses of them, clementines being one of the more common. I used to eat a lot of oranges, but the quality of so many seems very poor now. These days, I prefer a mandarin or clementine. I've been seeing quite a lot of kumquats lately - I wonder if this is a passing fad or are kumquats the next big thing. The future's bright, the future's kumquat?

Well, I have two new words to add to my vocab. What about you Caribbean girl? It's the first time I am seeing any of these words in relation to oranges and tangerines. This forum keeps reminding me I am not as knowledgeable as I thought. Anyway, I have found tangerines more consistent on taste. I've had some oranges that could be mistaken for limes so I am going with tangerines.

Kumquat is a very handy word in Scrabble, too. Twenty-two points plus fifty for seven-letter word...72 points minimum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom