Organic vegetables

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:11 AM
I try to buy organic if I can the taste is amazing, I know it's more expensive but it's worth it. The pic below has store bought bag of 500gms. Top is organic that looks more rustic and rough around the edges. However when you peel it is a bright orange. And so sweet.
Do you buy organic???
Russ

Some things yes, some things no. For some veg, the organic display at the supermarket is so poorly maintained, with horribly wilted, faded items, it looks like you're shopping out of the dumpster where the unsatisfactory items were thrown out.

When we buy from the local farm shops, though, that's a different story altogether. That stuff looks great, and we buy from there when we can.

One thing I do like to buy organic is citrus, because the non-organic stuff is coated with a thin layer of edible wax, to help with preservation and appearance, and if I'm going to use the zest, I have to clean that stuff off (soak in water and vinegar). The organic stuff doesn't have that.

Other than during the winter all veg comes from local small farms. Some are organic, some aren't. Personally I find from my local farmers there's little difference.....they all work in a responsible way, which translates almost by default a decent product. In the winter when we get carrots, onions, mushrooms, cabbage, cauliflower, garlic etc there is definitely a different in taste, sometimes a huge difference. And we're getting our produce from one of the best providers/purveyors around as well. I would never buy a veg or fruit because it wasn't organic it just makes your selections by sight and feel imperatively more important and I love grocery shopping lol.

Just thought I'd mention that a local farmer delivers to us heirloom carrots, multicolored that resemble your lower carrot, actually much nicer but are organic. The upper one looks like it's been in storage or has been out of the ground for a few days or not stored properly. It's really hard to tell until you take a bite.

Last edited:
Some things yes, some things no. For some veg, the organic display at the supermarket is so poorly maintained, with horribly wilted, faded items, it looks like you're shopping out of the dumpster where the unsatisfactory items were thrown out.

When we buy from the local farm shops, though, that's a different story altogether. That stuff looks great, and we buy from there when we can.

One thing I do like to buy organic is citrus, because the non-organic stuff is coated with a thin layer of edible wax, to help with preservation and appearance, and if I'm going to use the zest, I have to clean that stuff off (soak in water and vinegar). The organic stuff doesn't have that.
My wife eats apples a lot and says the taste difference is massive. Organic all thr way for her. I'm not an apple eater.
We planted 2 mandarin plants earlier this year. The fruit will be organic as my wife doesn't use sprays. We got them to avoid scurvy :)

Russ

I try to buy organic if I can the taste is amazing, I know it's more expensive but it's worth it. The pic below has store bought bag of 500gms. Top is organic that looks more rustic and rough around the edges. However when you peel it is a bright orange. And so sweet.
Do you buy organic???
Russ
View attachment 75274

I don't really buy organic as I haven't found it makes much difference in taste (if at all) and is more expensive. But maybe we are lucky in the UK. So much veg and fruit here these days is grown without pesticides in any case.

I'm wondering now if definitions of organic and what can be labelled as such, differs across the world. I have a feeling it may...

...and I know its not simply to do with pesticides.

Last edited:

I keep some plain alcohol in my pantry for that. It takes the wax right off of fruits and veggies that are coated. Just a wipe down with a alcohol soaked paper towel.

CD

I buy some organic products exclusively (milk, eggs) because they are clearly better tasting. I will buy organic veggies if they look (or feel) better than the non-organic equivalent. That would be something like celery that is a darker green, or bell peppers that have a firmer feel. But, that varies from one shopping trip to the next.

Organic tomatoes in stores here are still water-bombs, even if they are redder in color.

CD

I´m pretty sure organic produce is better for you, as it avoids using pesticides and other stuff to enhance it.
However, (and excuse me for being a bit cynical) I wonder whether many people could actually tell the difference? And is "organic" just an excuse to make the product trendy and charge more for it?:cool:

I have gardened organically since the 1970's.
it's not lack of chemicals that tastes better - organic tends to be "more" locally grown, typically with much better techniques (water, space, etc.) - which results in a higher quality produce.

stuff that is mega-farmed, mechanically harvest, stored, shipped . . . are generally strains of produce that have been selected for tough skins, insect/handling damage resistance, long shelf life - important considerations to mega-agriculture companies marketing products by the ton. those semi-edible varieties can be grown organically or fully chemicalized. even done organic they remain semi-edible.

organic culture is more expensive - losses are higher, labor is more intense. but sometimes local organic stuff is cheaper here, even in supermarkets - simply because there's no 3,000 mile shipping & handling nor twenty middle men taking their cuts....

At Kroger today:

Organic, all wilted and looking poorly:

Non-organic, all smiley and bright:

And that's the absolute best I've ever seen organic radishes at Kroger, and they still look like garbage. The back sides of those radishes are all split and brown and rotted (didn't get a pic of that, though).

At Kroger today:

Organic, all wilted and looking poorly:
View attachment 75517

Non-organic, all smiley and bright:
View attachment 75518

And that's the absolute best I've ever seen organic radishes at Kroger, and they still look like garbage. The back sides of those radishes are all split and brown and rotted (didn't get a pic of that, though).
Back in the 80's when the veg went off and looked bad we just called them organic and charged more.....kidding :woot:

Back in the 80's when the veg went off and looked bad we just called them organic and charged more.....kidding :woot:
Seriously, I was a little annoyed the organic looked as good as that, because usually, it looks like actual garbage. :laugh:

I have distinctly noticed that the quality of any and all produce in the markets has declined significantly.
one could suppose the 'labor shortage' - or more accurately the 'unemployment surplus' - is resulting in delays in harvesting crops.

oversized split carrots, celery past it's prime stage, wilted crushed cold burnt spinach, onions - half are rotting inside, filthy potatoes with blight and scab, . . . . it's a long and very unpretty picture.

Back
Top Bottom