Recipe Oriental Butternut Squash, Potato & Red Grape Salad

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:25 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This version is vegan. It can be made with soya yoghurt and lemon juice, or my current preference which is pureed cashew nuts and lemon juice. However, in the making of this version, I only had coconut yoghurt to hand, limes and various other 'oriental' herbs. So I decided to have a Thai theme to the flavour. I had thought of adding some fresh grated coconut and some lemongrass. Maybe next time. I think the recipe would also work well with sweet potatoes.

But it you want it with dairy, the original recipe started out life as a pot of crème fraiche or sour cream and large pot of Greek yoghurt. It does not need the lime juice if you are using crème fraiche or sour cream.
It can easily Greek yoghurt and extra lime juice alone, it is just one of those recipes. It is amenable to what is in the fridge and what you actually like.

Ingredients
Butternut Squash (diced)
Potatoes (diced)
red/white onions (finely chopped)
red seedless grapes (halved)
green pepper (5mm dice)
mixed chopped nuts (this time it was sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts all chopped)
Coconut yoghurt (dairy free)
Juice of 1 1/2 limes
Handful of fresh coriander and flat leaf parsley leaves (chopped)

Method
  1. clean and chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces, so the same with the butternut squash but remember it cooks more quickly, so bigger pieces. This is a whatever your preferred size is job, and cook until just done. Drain well and allow to cool.
  2. Meanwhile, add the onions, green pepper, mixed chopped nuts/seeds and the red grapes to a large serving bowl and mix.
  3. Prepare the dressing by mixing up the yoghurt and lime juice, plus the parsely and coriander in a separate bowl. This recipe used an entire large pot of coconut yoghurt and needed the juice of 1 and a half limes.
  4. Mix the dressing into the onions seeds and grapes mixture. It helps to break it up and distribute the dressing better later on.
  5. Add the butternut squash and potatoes to the serving bowl, mix in well, and then add the dressing to the potato mix and also mix well.
  6. You will find that the dressing will thicken as the salad stands, so if it looks really thin and watery, don't worry. Give it a couple of hours and it will be fine.
It was served with the following: various leaves (mixed lettuce and wild rocket from the garden, parsley, coriander, oregano and marjoram) raw carrots, cucumber, raw celery, raw asparagus, borlotti beans for more protein, hummus and dill senap (Swedish mustard) (plus whatever else is on the plate!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom